GW2 BETA SIGN UP, SIGN THE FUCK UP NAOOOOO!!!!!!

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 am

With the overflow server function population overabundance shouldn't be a concern, typically you guys go to servers with huge populations, which half my friends love, but the other half hates. With the way the WvWvW is going to work (servers fight rather than factions) I'm sure we can all land on the same server.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 pm

My Kliq is ready, just let me know of the server. And for the love of christ choose a good one!
[glow=blue]
A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject
and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

Eirene
Ass Jammer

Postby Eirene » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 am

If I'm not traveling, working insane hours, wedding planning, shopping for dresses, couponing, and sleeping, then I'll play. :D
The message buck stops here.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:36 am

Yay! Good to see so many posts! Barbos is stoked!

Anyone have a good guess on when this is gonna go live? Google seems to think April/May but that seems really soon and I don't know how far along the game is yet.
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Considering the way typical betas have been going with weekend testing, I think that May sounds about right, though if they are confident in the game and are really just looking for stress testing and more people for intermittent bug testing, then it could be as early as April.

The last couple of betas that I've participated in, the weekend betas were really just utilized for viral hype (SWToR and TERA being the most recent), rather than content testing (d3 is like this too, even though it's persistent, I can't ever test more content than the first boss in act 1). You can't really test much content in a 2-4 day period, particularly if your character doesn't carry over to the next beta weekend (like in Aion). Arenanet was talking about the potential for a character to carry over, which means to me that they are pretty confident in their content, and they may or may not think that people need to test it (higher level stuff). I've already heard that leveling is moderately fast paced, so it's possible that the content has already been tested somewhat rigorously during the closed beta(s) that have been going on.

Changing the subject a bit, I don't know how people pick servers, but we should just make sure to get on one that is decently populated. The real question is do we pick a server that all the good pvp guilds go to, and then end up steamrolling everyone at first until they all quit two months after the game comes out (leaving the server depopulated), or do we just pick a random server with a high-medium or high population and hope for the best in terms of other players' skills.

I think Merlin was pretty fun at the various points in time for different reasons. At the beginning with Combine, PRX, CQ, etc. it was pretty fun dominating everyone. Of course, that got boring pretty fast and most of those guilds all quit once more people hit 50 to maintain pristine records in terms of server dominance. I also think it was fun when other guilds like Myth, BWC, Wyrd, etc. were vying for faction dominance because the intrarealm politics were an interesting dynamic and the relative power of each fluctuated with their ability to lead groups and succeed on a week to week basis.

Personally, I actually found the latter to be a more interesting dynamic to play in than the former, because I don't really like to follow people around based solely on predicated success from previous games. I think most of my friends feel the same way. In any event, as the time gets closer we should probably think about how we want to select a server, because unlike other games, if we pick the one with all the "competition" we will likely never be fighting them outside of the arena aspect of the game (which I'm not even sure is limited to servers versus cross realms).
Last edited by Sirion on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Sirion wrote:With the overflow server function population overabundance shouldn't be a concern, typically you guys go to servers with huge populations, which half my friends love, but the other half hates. With the way the WvWvW is going to work (servers fight rather than factions) I'm sure we can all land on the same server.

This is done to counteract the obvious subscription fallout that takes place after the first month of release of an MMO. I'd rather wait in queue to get into the game and be on a highly populated server than be on a medium pop server during the games first month only to have it drop to low pop a month or two after the game is live. This has happened in MMO I've played after DAOC.
Last edited by Zeratulx on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer
Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief
Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Sirion wrote:Changing the subject a bit, I don't know how people pick servers, but we should just make sure to get on one that is decently populated. The real question is do we pick a server that all the good pvp guilds go to, and then end up steamrolling everyone at first until they all quit two months after the game comes out (leaving the server depopulated), or do we just pick a random server with a high-medium or high population and hope for the best in terms of other players' skills.

I would rather have a little leveling parity but if we want to get dirty with the mega-zergs I am fine with that. It's often I end up on those servers anyways. Just my two cents from experience, these "pvp guilds" are often heavy recruit guilds that enter games with 100 people, that quickly balloon to 300+ for zone control. Realizing that guilding 10% of an entire server is not an adequate advantage these bloated fuck fests enter non aggression pacts with each other and carry out their carnage on small groups and server forums. Just when you thought it could not get any gayer two of the mega-zergs will inevitably clash in which both will claim victory regardless of outcome.

The bottom line is I'm in either way but would rather roll the dice somewhere else.

You miss spelled BWC Chris, haha.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:52 am

Twystyd wrote:You miss spelled BWC Chris, haha.

LIES AND SLANDER!

Seriously though, we won't have to worry about people on our own server trying to zerg it up on us, because I don't think we ever get to fight them outside of maybe the battlegrounds/arenas, which still might be cross server as well. It seems like the world pvp will always be WvWvW which means we will always be on the same side as whoever is on our realm, which is why this is seemingly an excellent game to get the whole crew back together on the same server - we won't have to worry about factions or being in the same guilds, we can just do whatever the hell we want and go pvp together in WvWvW against whichever servers we get pitted against for the week.

I'm pretty damn excited about this game honestly and I'm really hoping to get into beta so that I can see if it's going to deliver everything I've been missing since the old days ;x
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm

http://www.gw2tools.com/

gives a quick introductory view of the traits and how you can spend your points.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

Was checking this out earlier. Can't decide what to roll :(
[glow=blue]

A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject

and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Sirion wrote:http://www.gw2tools.com/

gives a quick introductory view of the traits and how you can spend your points.

TY sir. Good looking out.

These classes are much more universal then most games. In saying that I'll have to get a closer look when I get home but Necro and Elementalist are the two that initially caught my eye. I liked Engineer and really looked over it until I saw something about fucking turrets.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:56 pm

Are thieves the only class with stealth? I would like to make an archer/stealther but can't find anything that says the Ranger has a stealth ability...
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight

Elfdroper - Merlin

Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 am

Rangers don't have stealth. The Thief and the Mesmer are the only classes that can "stealth" but I'm not sure how much time the Thief can even spend in stealth as I don't think it's a typical stealth from games like WoW or DAoC. I think the stealth in this game is kind of a disappear into the shadows for a second to drop target, get an attack out of it, repeat. The Mesmer stealth is basically like a quick vanish or invis from WoW.

I don't really know what I want to play either. I keep coming back to Warrior or Thief as those are the class styles that I typically play. I'm also interested in the Ranger, but I definitely won't roll one of those until I know how fluid or buggy pet control is.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 pm

I decided Thief from the moment the class was announced.
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer

Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief

Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 am

I decided the same thing, until I watched warrior gameplay and good ranger gameplay, and now I am undecided until I take them all for a ride. Mesmer looks damn fun too.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”