First Steps in Outland Horde Guide

BWC announcements and broadcasts.
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

First Steps in Outland Horde Guide

Postby Twystyd » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:59 am

Introduction

Out of curiosity for myself and to share with others, I’ve gathered some info on Outland and Burning Crusade as to what a horde character will most likely experience playing in the expansion. I am not in the beta, so all this info is gathered from sites that have information on the beta. This information has been collected and gathered from http://wowwiki.com, http://worldofwar.net, http://atlasmod.com, http://wowhead.com, http://tentonhammer.com, http://wowinsider.com as well as some others.

Preparations

Before heading into the Dark Portal, I’d recommend reading this quick little article written by some beta testers regarding things to bring and not to bring into outland. The most important one being runecloth for first aid. I think the other points the author makes is less important. Chances are, everyone already has their trade skills maxed and healing potions are always a good thing to have. And here is some info on what you expect to happen to your gear in Outland. In summary of the link, do not worry about anything bellow Tier 2 gear. It’s going to get replace quickly and PVP weapons will last the longest.

I am personally planning on selling most of my gear that is not part of my Grinding/Questing set to save the bag space for valuable Outland drops as well as those nagging quest items (remember those?). Considering that a majority of the materials and recipes in outland is high level, I’ll also be making room in my bank by moving materials to make anything that is less then level 40 to a bank character (You know, for the Blood Elf Alt).

Your quest log will be something else you’ll want to clear. Here’s a good rule of thumb on cleaning out your quest log.

*Do I want to put the effort into finishing this quest?
*Do I have the extra time available to finish this quest?
*Do I want the reward for this quest?
*Is this quest doable with my available resources?
*Have I made any progress that I don’t want to abandon?

What I took from this is make sure you have plenty of room in your bags and log for brand fucking new quests.

First Steps

It is worth noting that the area around the dark portal is declared a “sanctuary” which means that no PVP can take place under any circumstance

Open entering the dark portal from Azeroth, you will find yourself in the Hellfire Peninsula in Outland. At the Outland side of the dark portal, there is a flight path, be sure to pick this up before going and exploring. North-west from the dark portal, following the road, you’ll find your first horde town called Thrallmar. Not far from Thrallmar, is the first 5man dungeon you’ll encounter, Hellfire Citadel (More on this later) located in the center of Hellfire Peninsula and south west of Thrallmar. One of the early orders of business will be collecting flight paths to several key destinations.

One tip I've heard about flight paths: the first few flight paths have little disovery quests that send you on a delivery (or whatever) using a flight path you haven't discovered yet. That means you can learn some flight destinations without actually walking over there. Fucking cool IMO

Thrallmar has a flight-path, but won’t be a full blown city like Org or IF. Thrallmar does have its own faction as well as NPCs that teach new ranks of various professions: Alchemy, Blacksmithing (most likely but I could not confirm), Enchanting, Engineering, Herbalism, Leatherworking, Mining, Skinning, Tailoring, as well as the vendor that sells the new rank of Cooking.

South of Hellfire Citadel, you should find a horde outpost called Spinebreaker Ridge where another Flight-path can be found. Where you really want to go, southwest towards Terokkar forest where the main city of Outland can be found, Shattrath city. I am assuming that once you get your Flight Path in Shattrath, you will want to go back to Hellfire Penninsula for questing and leveling.

Upon entering Terokkar Forest, go straight west until you reach Shattrath City. This will most likely be everyone’s hearth location. Shattrath city will have portals to the four major horde cities in Azeroth (including the blood elf’s Silvermoon City). Mages will also be able to learn portal spells to Shattrath. I read somewhere that Shattrath city will also have an Alchemist Lab to make flasks, no more shitty runs through Scholomance. There will not be any class trainers here, only profession trainers. To train up, see your class specific trainer in one of the four Azeroth Cities.

West of Thrallmar is Falcon Watch which also has a flight path, but is not a full blown town either. This is a pretty critical stop for the fact that the vendor that sells the new First Aid book is here. There is a total of four Flight Paths in Hellfire Peninsula to get around. East: Dark Portal, North Thrallmar, South Spinebreaker Ridge, West Falcon Watch.

Last edited by Twystyd on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:53 am

Shattrath City

Since I think that the majority of players will make Shattrath City their new home, I decided to read up more on the city and supply folks with more information on their new hearth location. The first thing to state is that this city will be shared between the alliance and the horde. The city is split up into four parts: Aldor Rise, Scryer’s Tier, Terrace of Light and Lower City. Aldor Rise and Scryer’s tier are bound to their respective factions. Terrance of light belongs to the Sha’tar faction. Horde start out Neutral to Sha’tar and Aldor and start out friendly with the Scryer.

The Aldor and the Scryer factions that are in the city do not get along and when you raise your faction with one, it is lowered with the other. While I do not know for sure, I think it’s safe to assume that if you are unfriendly or worse with one of the factions, access to that faction’s NPCs and vendors will be restricted. When deciding which faction to go with, keep in mind that the Scryers have a Master Enchanter and a Grand Master Enchanter. Enchanters will be happy avoiding Uldaman to get trained. The Aldor have a Jewel-crafting trainer. There are repeatable faction quests for both factions. Each faction has it’s own rewards and here is a great link to help you choose between the two.

It’s also worth repeating that since the city is shared by both the Alliance and the Horde, it’s been declared a “sanctuary” which means that no PVP can take place under any circumstance (the other sanctuary again is the area around the dark portal in Azeroth)

As stated previously, there are no class trainers in Shattrath. There are also no Auction houses in Shattrath. The portals to the major cities of Azeroth are located at the Terrace of Light, where you will be visiting to both train and trade goods.

Getting Things Started

There are a number of quests in and around the Hellfire Peninsula for leveling. Guides for specific quests can be viewed here and here. There is also a PVP objective like in Eastern Plague Lands and Silithus lololz (both of which get the always popular :pee: monkey).

I am sure a major point of interest for most people is going to be the Hellfire Citadel. As most of the dungeons in the expansion, Hellfire Citadel is a winged dungeon similar to Dire Maul and Scarlet Monastery. Out of the four wings, the wing of interest in your early 60s will be Hellfire Ramparts, which has mobs level 60-62. You enter through a bridge on the east side.

Hellfire Ramparts has three boss encounters and four bosses.

1) Watchkeeper Gargolmar
2) Omor the Unscarred
3) Vazruden and Nazan
Last edited by Twystyd on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:38 am

Random Usefull Content

* Here are the maps blown up and easier to read.

* A list of the dungeons of Outlands

5 mans instances:
Hellfire Citadel - Ramparts - Level 60-62
Hellfire Citadel - Blood Furnace - Level 61-63
Coilfang Reservoir - The Slave Pens - Level 62-64
Coilfang Reservoir - The Underbog - Level 63-65
Auchindoun - The Mana Tombs - Level 64-66
Auchindoun - Auchenai Crypts - Level 65-67
Caverns of Time - Escape from Durnholde - Level 66-68
Auchindoun - Sethekk Halls - Level 67-69
Coilfang Reservoir - The Steam Vault - Level 68-70
Hellfire Citadel - The Shattered Halls - Level 70
Caverns of Time - Opening the Dark Portal - Level 70
Tempest Keep - The Mechanar - Level 69-70
Tempest Keep - The Botanica - Level 70
Auchindoun - The Shadow Labyrinth - Level 70
Tempset Keep - The Arcatraz - Level 70

10 mans instances:
Karazhan - Level 70

25 mans instances:
Blade's Edge Mountains - Gruul's Lair - Level 70
Hellfire Citadel - Magtheridon's Lair - Level 70
Coilfang Reservoir - Serpentshrine Cavern - Level 70
Tempest Keep - The Eye - Level 70
Caverns of Time - Battle for Mount Hyjal - Level 70
Shadowmoon Valley - The Black Temple - Level 70

Eirene
Ass Jammer

Postby Eirene » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:17 am

I'm not a Horde :(

ALLIANCE version...

Make a mad dash to Honor Hold and Temple of Telameht to train First Aid and rest of the professions...

Then start in Zagarmarsh because it's gonna be a clusterfuck tomorrow, 1/16. :)
The message buck stops here.

Zoidmeister
Donkey Fucker

Postby Zoidmeister » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:34 am

Nice work Law.

BC looks interesting ... may have to resubscribe this winter.

Return to “BWC Guild News”