sata raid

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
Gorilla
Tripped Off the Short Bus

sata raid

Postby Gorilla » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:59 pm

do the harddrives i want to use have to be the exact same make model brand ...etc

or just the same size

IE 80gb (which is what im planning to use)
Pain is weakness leaving the body

The residing KING latino

Chogall rapist

Fardomar
Incompetent To0l

Postby Fardomar » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:37 pm

It's best to use the same make/model but I have used different makes in a pinch, mainly for people who just didnt want to spend more money on another drive.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:31 pm

Same size is OK. You might want to make sure they are the same speeds and general performance.

IE you wouldn't want to put a new 8mb cache ata 133 drive with a 5 yr old 2mb cache ata 66 drive.. even if they are the same size.

The only time that I am aware that you have to have the same model, is when you are using a raid configuration that requires the harddrive spindels to be in sync.

I believe you can even get away with different sizes sometimes, but you can only raid up to the lowest size in the raid.

Gorilla
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Gorilla » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:34 pm

well they are same cache (8mb) same rpm (7200) and same brand western digital........althought i bought the 1st one long time ago and its on ata...

so i hope it runs on SATA so i can set it up correctly
Pain is weakness leaving the body

The residing KING latino

Chogall rapist

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:29 pm

Most likely, your sata drive is the same exact drive, with a built in PATA (traditional ATA) to SATA converter built onboard. Should work fine once you get a converter for PATA to SATA for the older drive.

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”