Don't. Buy. Asus!.

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Don't. Buy. Asus!.

Postby TrollFunk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Build by the lowest japaness bidder and is has stable and user friendly has an starving tiger ready to maul the nearest insect for some food.

Been helping my cousin after he purchased the Asus Striker II Formula and what a fucked up piece of shit that is.

7 Bios updates for starters, is compliant with 8500 memory sticks, but only after you sacrifice a gnome, call the tech services in germany(who speaks shitty engrish), and flip the bios upside down.

After initiale problems we called the store he had bought it from and they confirmed it had Q9450 support. Well, apparently it didn't. Doesn't want to recognize the CPU on any level and after 30 seconds of being on its running around 60c. So we consulted Asus website but without finding hard evidence that it supported the Yorkfield chip. Finaly my cousin in frustration cracked down and called Asus Tech in the UK, they said that the board did indeed support the Yorkfield, but only the QX9650 and QX9750 versions..... :mad:

The tech idiot did say that their working on a bios update for the q9450 and q9550 processors but the current scheduel for that release isn't set yet and could possibly first be available in the new year.....

Bottom line:

Asus has shit support, shitty website, ultra crappy products(have personally had 2 Asus boards burn out after 4 months +/- on each.

I advice anyone to make a point of avoiding Asus motherboards.
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 pm

I fucking hate their website and how they make you download your drivers off their site. I have a G1 laptop that has been alright but the website is junk for sure.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:38 pm

I was looking at an asus board for my newest pc, but after reading a bunch of reviews, there were countless complaints about memory compatibility issues.

After post after post after post of the same types of issues, I decided to get a gigabyte board instead, and save 70 bucks to boot. :bigups:

Candide

Postby Candide » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Hehe, funny how things change. I hardly keep up with hardware anymore, used to Asus was the shit, gigabyte was the el cheapo model. Now I'm running gigabytes. Hell, even MSI has become a reliable brand. Many I used to hate the day we would pick up a client that had bought equipment from this one local place that used all MSI MB's, things sucked ass.

Ah well, nothing of value to add, just waiting for GTA4 to reinstall after having to buy a new PS3 cuz some jackass broke into my house 2 weeks ago and stole shit.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Candide wrote:some jackass broke into my house 2 weeks ago and stole shit.

Wow that sucks... hopefully not anything that isn't easily replaced

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:58 pm

That is odd as I have had no trouble with Asus mobos at all. Hell all rigs I have put together for myself, my brother, and my dad use Asus mobos.
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer
Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief
Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:48 pm

I've had SOYO's in the past without any issues... Built the same PC for a neighbor and it always failed with the craziest issues.

While none of my PC's had issues, I stopped buying them after having to work on others all the time...

Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw I guess

TrollFunk

Postby TrollFunk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:12 am

Have had my 680i and 780i burn out. 680i burned out its northbrigde with the heatsink reaching nearly 100c in a matter of seconds. 780i fried its cpu socket, luckly it didn't fry my cpu.

Am back to MSI now witht he P7N Diamond and it was almost a "plug'n play" board. Worked from the get go.  :bigups:
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Candide

Postby Candide » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:34 am

barbos wrote:Wow that sucks... hopefully not anything that isn't easily replaced

Yeah, nothing too bad. Just a couple of teens I think, took what they would use, didn't take anything to sell. Left all my PC's and LCD monitors, walked past thousands of dollars in camera equipment, moved the wife's jewelry around but didn't take any. Think they were just looking for cash.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Gorilla

Re: Don't. Buy. Asus!.

Postby Gorilla » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:57 pm

TrollFunk wrote:Build by the lowest japaness bidder and is has stable and user friendly has an starving tiger ready to maul the nearest insect for some food.

this must be at the peak of your anger because sir...that is not english
Pain is weakness leaving the body

The residing KING latino

Chogall rapist

TrollFunk

Postby TrollFunk » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Kan ikke snakke engelsk Gorilla, troede det var et vidtspredt faktum ved denne tid.

:P

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 am

damn danes :biggrin:
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Actually, it's not Asus fault for your problems. Believe it or not there is a WAR between INTEL and NVIDIA, and NVIDIA pulled their support for the new quads on the 680i platform at last minute and only support them on the 780i. It's well documented over then net if you google Q9450 and 680i

As a rule of thumb it's always good to look at compatibility for older boards specially with newer chips.

I can say with certainty that Asus RMA and support is SHIT. After waiting a month for the RMA of my board I had to throw a hate mail to the president of ASUS USA to get some asses moving on my board, needless to say I had a brand new board overnighted to me the next day which was actually a used board with bent capacitors and scratches. I then received another "Personally Checked" board the following day. I think in total they probably spent more in overnight shipping then the board actually costed me. I'm still running the Asus P5K with the regional manager on speed dial for the duration of my warranty.

(On a side note: I've had my Corsair XMS2 2GB of 1066mhz DDR2 memory fail, I was then shipped new Corsair Dominator 2GB 1250mhz DDR2 as a replacement after a 2 week backorder of my old memory. IT failed, I was then Scheduled to receive Corsair Dominator 4GB of 1142mhz Memory but after a month of backorder and talking with the manager I am NOW receiving Corsair Dominators 8GB (4sticks of 2GB) of 1066mhz. So in 1 years time on lifetime warranty memory I haven't been able to use my memory for a month and a half, but on a side note I bought some 2GB Crucial Balastix for $20 while I wait :)

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”