Project OS Geek

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Project OS Geek

Postby Tingtong » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:57 pm

So yea after my TCP/IP got corrupted in my Windows XP I decided to embark on a quite complicated multiple OS installation. Since I had about 300GB of games installed I decided to make a separate drive for all program installs and just have 1 drive with multiple partitions for all my os's and rest of the same for downloading torrents. I'm thinking along the lines of 5-6 os's from a range from Mac OS to Linux. However the MAIN reason i'm doing this is to have the added functionality for Directx10 with Vista.

Now this is the impossible feat I am trying to accomplish! The ability to copy changed registry files so they can be imported into Vista without having to use multiple installations for the same games. I have yet to find a program that will allow me to do this so if you know something it would be a great help.

Once I get it the way I want it will be Ghost Imaged for the best OS installations evar!

Augomatic
Pathetic Chode

Postby Augomatic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Umm,

Why not just use something like VMWare?

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:03 pm

I'm not really looking to run multiple Os's at the same time in a gaming environment. I've personally never run the software before but I assume It would have the same application file sharing problems. Plus I'm thinking my machine would take a considerable performance hit.

basically what it boils down to is I Don't want to waste 10GB of space for each installation of World of Warcraft.. or whatever LARGE game. Just want the functionality of clicking the shortcut and having both os's run from my assigned "Programs" Hard Drive.

Hope that makes sense.

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:15 pm

So I installed windows Xp 64bit edition and have had nothing but file corruption problems. I have the newest Intel chipset and sata drivers but to no avail. I'm scraping the OS as a complete loss and going back to 32bit Xp, Vista 64bit seems fine "For now"

I found 3 solutions to my inital problem.

1. A program that "monitors" program installations then allows you to export a .reg file of the changes made so you can import into other os's however I found most installations install hidden directories for program settings. Like "Application data" and a spot for your "saved games" in your My Documents etc. which leads me to my next program.

2. A program that monitors installations and creates packaged installations
For instance I install a program it creates a complete package of all registry/data changes, and all you do is "right click" on the pack and it instantly puts the files where the need to be. then if you right click it again it will litterly roll the software package up again with no trace of it ever being installed. It quite a cool piece of software. Wish they would do away with MSI installers and adopt this kind of idea for instant software deployment. ANYONE who has installed WoW knows what I'm talking about! lol..

3. and the last easier step is just to install the game ontop of itself in each os, yea cheesey but it works! Unless your me and install xp 64-bit and corrupt your game files.

DUN dun DUN!!!! I will forgo the severe beating of my computer with a baseball bat and scrap this one up as a "I knew this would happen with a Microsoft Product" Bill Gates I would watch out If I were you.... I'm ingraving the bat with all the kernel32 errors I get so they will leave perminate indentations on your face....

Augomatic
Pathetic Chode

Postby Augomatic » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:41 pm

Haha,

I had forgotten about your project till I saw the new post.

I was going to write back and let you know that a 500 gb hard drive is probably $100, and you've just spent a few days trying to save maybe 100 gb :)

Not playing much of anything besides chasing around the baby.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:52 pm

Not worth the hassle IMO... but I guess something has to fill your time while you arent' playing games :bigups:

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:22 pm

Augomatic wrote:Haha,

I had forgotten about your project till I saw the new post.

I was going to write back and let you know that a 500 gb hard drive is probably $100, and you've just spent a few days trying to save maybe 100 gb :)

well saving 300gb+ actually and yea a bit over the top, but it's a hobby learning new tricks is always fun regardless of the time and effort involved. just wish they would port DX10 to XP :(

Plus I have the added feature of knowing where shit is and small OS backup images for quick restores for some crazy system failure.. installing tons of crap all over again isn't much fun!

TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby TrollFunk » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:05 am

Welcome to the dual boot club.

When i got Vista i was almost scared for life with its compatability issues. So in order to utilize some of my older programs, i kept Xp 32bit as a safe haven until the Vista shitstorm subsides.
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:50 pm

Well it's been 4 months since I started on this project and I will say I have successfully installed every flavor of OS, on my box. AND they all use the same games/programs AND each and every OS is bootable via a bootloader OR in a VMware setting!

I've even made custom OS images that remove crap features from various Os's atm I have a Vista build thats fully functional and runs on 256MB memory. Huh WHAT you don't need 2GB?!

I will say using VMware to sandbox my applications has been pretty awesome, I keep Adobe Os Builds, apache,Sql, mmo development Server/web design builds, Movie Encoding builds, Gaming Builds. Whatever Project I decided to embark on I have the option to Load it up in VMware or boot to it directly if I need advanced Dx10 capabilities etc.

TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby TrollFunk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:57 am

Nicely done!.

I hope your next project will be to become the majority stock holder in Electronic Arts and turn that shitboat around before we're knee deep in games with unforfilled potentials...

/cry AoT
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Menagery
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Menagery » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:22 pm

His next project should be asking me to marry him!!!!!!!!

You try living with this stuff. I deserve a reward for being the most understanding wonderful and loving person he has lived with forever.

And I make good cake and have PIE heheheeh
Menagery Healadin on Boodhoof
Sattik The most awesome Boomkin EVER on Blackhand

DAOC - Menagery, Sattik, Mrsting, Tequiliarose, Longislandicetea, Cabanaboy, Snufulufugus, Kiefers, and so many more I lost count years ago

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:53 pm

Did somebody say PIE? :onfire:

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”