Get bios to recognize 160gb HDD

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
gwerner
Drifter Gimp

Get bios to recognize 160gb HDD

Postby gwerner » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:20 pm

Yesterday i bought a 160gb WD HD but i cant get my A7S333 Asus MoBo Bios to recognize it. I updated the bios to the latest i could find, 1006 (dated 2003) using the Asus Update app. from Windows XP with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

gwerner
Drifter Gimp

Postby gwerner » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:57 pm

The HDD does work.

Actualy, i was able to start installing windows on to it but then after formating and files copied, when instalation automaticaly restarts the pc, the drive wont boot.

When i enter the Bios under "Primary Master" it says None (and the only othe option is disabled. with my other disc it says the disc name there.)

Apart from that, during the windows instalation, when it asks you to select the partition, the disc does show but it sais the capacity is only 130000 MB and not 160gb.

Thanks!

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:57 pm

it is a 160gig drive.

most newer harddrives, come with a pin which is capping the HD size.

remove that lil pin from the rear of the HD, and it will let you install to the full capastiy

*the pinn is located in the back of the HD, in the same location where you can set it as primary/slave
DAOC-SOLD
Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)
WOW-SOLD
Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)
WAR- CLOSED BETA!

gwerner
Drifter Gimp

Postby gwerner » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:57 pm

OK thanks. i was able to solve the problem setting the jumper to Cable Select (CS) instead of Master... which a little strange i guess but at least i didnt have to change any hardware..

Also, for the record, i found that for WD HDDs there is a special software for drives higher than 137 MB called Data Lifeguard tools 11 which can be downloaded from here: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n and which allows you to use the disks full capacity.

Thanks! bye

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”