Computer Trouble...

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
Zeris
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Zeris » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:59 pm

An Xp installation destroys your windows directory and anything in it. ANYTHING. Be wary of desktop crap, etc.
XP doesnt use a \windows directory in teh same way or something, whatever the reason is, just back your shit up to a folder on the basic c drive, thats all. As for anything else, XP is pretty flawless so it has my appreciation in that respect. very streamlined, relatively problem free.
markov|[shadow=red][glow=red]Terran Republic[/glow][/shadow]|zeris

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:17 am

XP can install over Windows 98, but XP isn't compatible with older "stuff". The best way to install it is to backup anything you need to keep, and format your harddrive and then put XP on there.

That way you won't spend 30 minutes installing XP and then XP fucking up the whole thing and having to start over anyway... :D

Beratuul
Ass Jammer

Postby Beratuul » Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:01 am

I don't get it though..

Say I need to re-install Windows Xp on my machine, if I get a virus and need to re-format, what do I do then?

Do I need to register it under the same name or what? or won't it install?
Casper, Svenegal, Tassadar, Maurs, Maurier, Perigrine, Du Maurier ( I go by these names).

My shit tastes like corn.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:17 am

it checks certain hardware on your pc... so you can reinstall it on the same pc over and over, but if you change so much, it'll say it is currently registered to another pc, so you have to call up microsoft and read them a shitload of numbers, and they will give you another shitload of numbers to type in..

You'll have to do that everytime (according to the guy I talked to at microsoft) if it doesn't match.

Not sure exactly what hardware it checks.

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”