Ram questions.

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Ram questions.

Postby TrollFunk » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:34 pm

Dual Latency = ?

Buffed/non-buffed = ?

Pin = ?

Oh help me tech gods of BWC!.

Papa trollfunk needs new rams, but i aint gonna by some shitty ones like my uncle just did because he saw the pricetag on em.
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:45 pm

not gonna go into a huge tutorial on what each ram statistic demonstrates, because there are probably better resources found by googling.

I'm not sure what Dual Latency means. But I can explain the other 2. The short answer is: just go with what your motherboard will support.

1) Pin#.. this tells you the physical spec on the ram you're getting. You have to see what your mobo supports. If it only supports 168pin ram, you obviously can't go buying 184pin ram, etc. in the literal sense, it's the number of pins on the ram connector. you gotta buy what fits in your motherboard. there's no better or worse or whatever, since you don't have an option (well, you could buy a converter, but the option is so stupid you should pretend i didn't even mention it..)

2) buff/non-buffer. I can get technically explaining what buffers on memory do (has to do with who has responsibility driving the signal.. the ram chip, or the memory controller), but I think you care more about answers. answer is, what does your motherboard support. in all likeliness, it supposed non-buffered ram, so buy that.

3) the preemptive answer.. the "defining" statistic on how to distinguish ram modules of the same type (say all unbuffered 184-pin DDR SDRAM), are their speed ratings.

it's usuallylisted as 4 numbers,

Cas Latency, Ras to Cas Latency, Ras Precharge Time, Cycle Time.

No need to get into incredible explanations on what they mean, but in general, just think to yourself that lower is better. How fast should you get your RAM? Again, it all depends on your motherboard. Most of the motherboards you buy off the shelf (or online or whatever), usually have very customizable BIOSes, and will allow you to modify these latency timings on RAM. Some motherboards do not allow this, and will auto-detect speeds based on what the chips dictate (a lot of the RAM modules you buy these days have these report higher latencies than they can actually do, which is why you need a custom motherboard to unlock their full potential). Some motherboard don't allow any of this shit and just run RAM at basic 3-3-3-8 speeds. It's all what your motherboard supports.

If you wanna learn more, google.
pink's dad and mom are conjoined at the waist.

friend to all bwc/scourn. like it or not.

TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby TrollFunk » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:46 am

Thanks killets, that helped alot! :D
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”