@ Techies

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
Eirene
Ass Jammer

@ Techies

Postby Eirene » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:57 pm

I'm looking for a new Dell computer around $1500 or LESS. Please let me know of what options I may have. Thank you.
The message buck stops here.

Xarkon
Ass Jammer

Postby Xarkon » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:08 pm

i can give you the spec i have for the computer i built was 1565 with a nice LCD moniter but - keyboard and its pretty pimp amd 3400 1 gig ram nvidia 6800 nice Mobo
To Many Xark's to count

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:07 pm

You can get all sorts of shit from Dell for under $1500. :bigups:

Eirene
Ass Jammer

Postby Eirene » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:09 pm

Well the one Jeff wants is $1600 dollars...no way I'm going for that

Min Specs:

3.0 Ghz or higher
1gb of ram
150GB HD
AGP Slot - ATI Radeon Card
DVD/CD RW drive

and want a flat screen monitor w/package

Dell is offering a 30% discount on Dimension PCs but $1690 was after the discount and I'm saying no way.

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Postby Winke » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:47 pm

High performance gaming PC's are going to be 1500+. A great multi purpose PC is way less than 1500. Thats the reality of PC cost these days.

Winke

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Cel take that 1500 and build your own machine (it's very easy)

www.newegg.com
DAOC-SOLD
Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)
WOW-SOLD
Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)
WAR- CLOSED BETA!

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:20 am

just wait around checking out techbargains.com every morning and before bed to see what deals are around.

do a search to see how low they can get.

the other day, i saw a 3ghz system with 24" lcd monitor for like $900 or something like that.

you can just buy aftermarket ram + video card and you'd be set.
pink's dad and mom are conjoined at the waist.

friend to all bwc/scourn. like it or not.

Grumpy
Ub3r Albino Board Troll

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:39 am

want some advice, im great at that, sold computers for a eyar and serviced them for 5 so im not totally talking outa my ass.

FIrst off i cant say enough about dual monitors, i been running 2 monitors for a year and i coudl never go back, gaming on main monitor with webpages with maps or ts and aim open on my other monitor, its wonderful.

I would say if your a gamer and your buying something today you need to buy a mother board with pci express, video cards need updateing with nearly every new game, but in reality an overclocked 1.6 northwood is more then enough cpu to run pretty much any game on teh market, cpu's have stalled but all current and newer video cards will be pci express so dont get stuck with an agp mobo.

If you run dual moniotrs or multitask alot of shit, you cannot beat a HT p4 or dual core processor, my main box is a p4 3ghz, i also have a amd64 3200+ and 2900+. the p4 is infinately more smooth when multitasking due to ht. the 3200 and 2900 are both a bit faster in synthetic benchmarking type bllshit but when i am playing there is no difference what so ever. But buying HT or Dual Core is far more important to the feel of your pc then the actual speed. you woudl be better off with a ht 2.8 then a amd 3500+ from the aspect of multi tasking. If you purely want 1 more fps and will never try to do 2 things at once(i couldnt imagine that lol) amd is alot cheaper power.

1 gb ram minimum.

hdd size is irrelivant to me, you want something new, that is fast, the newest drive technology is of course alwasy faster and quieter. You can usually find platter density info on manufacturer webpages or just read a few reviews, i would recomend anandtech.com cause they are the only unbiased big page that im aware of. raid0 is awesome i love it, but in reality the best thing to do is to make sure your shit is backed up, cause hdd's are shit and i replaced a bad hdd in 1 out of every 4 or 5 computers i fixed under warranty.

You can build yourself a pretty cutting edge tower for about 1200, so if you have the ability to do it or if someone you trust can do it, you will end up with alot better pc for the money.
Numberonestuna RR4 healer/lamorak

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:38 am

If she's buying a Dell, she won't find an AMD....

If you mainly play one game at a time, and do not switch back and forth much at all, do not get a dual core chip. Get a HT (Hyperthreading) chip and turn HT off (you can always turn it back on later).

You can lose ~10-15% performance with HT when you are just doing a single task (playing a game). However, if you do multitask alot, then follow Grumpy's advice.

Dual core has only been proven useful for serious multitaskers. Maybe the next generation games will be coded to take advantage of using multiple threads. :huh:

TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby TrollFunk » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:01 pm

"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Eirene
Ass Jammer

Postby Eirene » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:03 pm

We ended up buying an E-machine (yeah I know...) AMD 64 3400+ with 1.6 FSB 200 GB Western Digital HD 1 GB RAM (upgradable to 4GB) with ATI PCI express 800XL 256 MB card, DVD Dual Layered W/RW drives, 9-1 media reader...to my surprise it came with Windows Media Center, XP home edition, XP office suite, and a 19 in flat screen monitor for $1200 at Best Buy.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:33 pm

I'm sorry... better luck next time eh... ;)

TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby TrollFunk » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:35 am

Eirene wrote:We ended up buying an E-machine (yeah I know...) AMD 64 3400+ with 1.6 FSB 200 GB Western Digital HD 1 GB RAM (upgradable to 4GB) with ATI PCI express 800XL 256 MB card, DVD Dual Layered W/RW drives, 9-1 media reader...to my surprise it came with Windows Media Center, XP home edition, XP office suite, and a 19 in flat screen monitor for $1200 at Best Buy.

I hate you. FUCK i so dearly hate you right now Eirene!...

To find a computer like that with that pricetag here in Denmark is like finding the rainbows end. :dontgetit:

Not to mention that the selection of decent "none-Dell" computers here in DK is EXTREEMLY limited. :huh:
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Phishbone
Keyboard Molesting Forum G33k

Postby Phishbone » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:37 am

Eirene wrote:We ended up buying an E-machine (yeah I know...) AMD 64 3400+ with 1.6 FSB 200 GB Western Digital HD 1 GB RAM (upgradable to 4GB) with ATI PCI express 800XL 256 MB card, DVD Dual Layered W/RW drives, 9-1 media reader...to my surprise it came with Windows Media Center, XP home edition, XP office suite, and a 19 in flat screen monitor for $1200 at Best Buy.

And to add this computer owns. Haven't had a single problem with it and all my games run like butter baby. Even in the worst LAG WoW has to offer I see no ill effects.

DAoC, not a single slow down. Burning DvD's and such. Nadda. Well, worth the money spent and its ready to go for the future.
>x> Phishbone <x<
..Bloodwinter Clan..

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”