thinking about redesigning my home network...

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
Bakerton
Donkey Fucker

thinking about redesigning my home network...

Postby Bakerton » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:02 pm

...right now I am using a D-Link Router (Layer 3 Switch/Brouter in reality :P ).

What I am planning on doing is this:

Get 2 3Com NICs for my PC (wanna replace old one)

Do Share Internet Connection and make my PC the router

Either get a switch or see if I can turn D-Link Router into a switch

Get a Software Firewall to keep my network safe from hackers

Now here is my question:

What is a good software firewall?

I do not mind spending a few bucks if need be but it needs to work with WinXP.

Also why would you choose this firewall over others?
No ma'am, the only gaping hole I leave is within your dignity.

-Law

And, what does the Search and Rescue of the Danish Army entail? Looking for your nations pride and dignity? Cause I don't think I could find that either, cause even Canada has more of both than Denmark.

-Beratuul

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:28 pm

Why would you want a Windows machine for a firewall? :biggrin:

I wouldn't want to give up the machine for a dedicated firewall. Hiding behind my Linksys router blocks 95% of attacks. That is enough for me.

Although right now I'm the DMZ so I get all the attacks. BlackICE seems to handle most of them well enough (even though without it I'm nearly just as safe, I just can't see what's going on).

Someone posted a link against BlackICE. It was declared a poor firewall, because it only blocked incoming attacks. If you had trojans and such, it wouldn't stop them from working. I'd rather have that than have to approve every damn thing that tries to access the internet (that gets old). After all, I only paid 4$ for it.

If you're real careful (ie where you go, what you do, what you download, what you click), it usually doesn't make a difference anyway in my book. But I'm not a professional, and a noob at internet networking. :P

Bakerton
Donkey Fucker

Postby Bakerton » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:30 pm

Well I am trying to get away from the router just to see if gaming will go smoother if I am directly connected...I do <3 my lil router tho...I have done Microsoft solutions a 100 times in school so I know that will not be a problem hehe

-Law

And, what does the Search and Rescue of the Danish Army entail? Looking for your nations pride and dignity? Cause I don't think I could find that either, cause even Canada has more of both than Denmark.

-Beratuul

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:20 am

why do you want to turn your computer into the router?

just leave the router as is....,

go to

www.dslreports.com

i belieave they have tools there to open up your internet connection speed.. (allows you to break out the cap)
DAOC-SOLD
Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)
WOW-SOLD
Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)
WAR- CLOSED BETA!

Finch
L33t Boardwarrioring Assface

Postby Finch » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:35 am

Steal ISA Server from school Bakerton if you can :P

Bakerton
Donkey Fucker

Postby Bakerton » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:45 am

I could steal server 2000 :p

maybe server 2003 :P

-Law

-Beratuul

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”