Graphic Card Question

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
SuperHelix
A Salty Surprise

Graphic Card Question

Postby SuperHelix » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:03 am

Difference between:

NVIDIA Geoforce FX 5600 256mb Dual Monitor

vs

ATI RADEON 9700 Pro 128mb AGP 8x

vs

ATI RADEON 9800 Pro 128mb AGP 8x

Thanks! Mainly looking for difference in 9800 vs 5600.
Gundorf the uber

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:56 am

I'm not going to bother with the hardware comparison betweeen the 2. Check out tomshardwareguide.com.

Couple of things I will say. I absolutly will not buy an ATI card yet, even tho they may have the upperhand on nvidia right now from a pure HW point. ATI sucks at makign drivers. Nvidia rules at drivers. Also, Nvidia still has the market share lead, and thus games are designed around them first, ATI second. Look at some of the games out there, heck even the patch notes for Planetside or SWG if youare in it. They both have issues with ATI cards in some way or another, several each. With nvidia, you just get told "ok, these 3 or 4 set of drivers work great". Right now the 43.45 det's for nvidia are the best, and improved performace in games by themselves.

Nvidia does that all the time. Release a set of drivers that make their cards faster than before, time adn time again. ATI never does that, its just "ok, our cards now work with these games too".

I haven't read upon the FX cards yet really tho. I know early on the 9800 was a better card in pure FPS terms (altho you are comparing a 128m to 256m, which makes a big difference in online games).

Just my opinion, but I chuckle evertime when I read the technical forums and see people bitching about "game company X sucks, they don't work on my card and its the latest one out!".
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:12 am

I'm not very fond of :

Dunno if the 5600 has that or not, but the 5800 was their top of the line... So basically I would assume it is equivalent with ATI's 9700.

Although for gaming... nVidia is the one's sleeping with the developers, so they are getting a bit more support... :P

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:15 am

aye, i also always go with nvida.. they are very much rooted themselves into any and all companies.. thus not going anywhere fo ra long time.

heck, they even updated the PS beta to match up with the latest nvida drivers.
DAOC-SOLD
Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)
WOW-SOLD
Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)
WAR- CLOSED BETA!

Mikeydee
L33t Boardwarrioring Assface

Postby Mikeydee » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:25 am

heard the FX *sounds* like a vacuum cleaner with that fan....plus needing 2 motherboard spots .... but...i <3 nvidia

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:44 am

yea, back in your first computer thread, i posted a pic of the geforcefx next to a radeon:

http://board.barbos.net/viewtopic.php?t=731

anyways, bottom line is the performance difference should be pretty transparent to you. from most of the benchmarks i've seen, its basically the radeon 9800 pro beating up the geforcefx 5800 in like 75% of the benchmarks, with a few select benchmarks the geforcefx 5800 beating up on ati. but we're talking like 250 fps vs 200 fps in quake3. you wont' see a difference. both cards will be fine/great for all the next generation games.

there are a few, however, that believe that there is a lot of untapped potential in those geforce cards. they're running at higher clock speeds, and its already established that its kind of a unique (some say revolutionary) design. there might be some merit in those observations, as we all remember when nvidia came out with the "detonator" drivers, the geforce256 saw like a 25% performance boost.

anyways, you probably only want opinions, and none of the garbage/b.s. that everyone including myself will pull out. i think the radeon 9800 is probably a better buy.

Mikeydee
L33t Boardwarrioring Assface

Postby Mikeydee » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:18 am

IT SOUNDS LIKE A VACUUM

you know, remember when mom used to run that bitch right in the middle of afternoon cartoons? well, that fker is sitting next to you.

if thats just me, then ok....but shit, you'd have to put it in a different room.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:28 pm

I have heard just the opposite, that the ATi cards had a lot of untapped potential as well, but since most the developers are coding for nVidia cards, it never gets used. And I heard that from someone who studies graphics... so nyahhh :P

:bigups:

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:53 pm

regarding nvidia's performance boost via new drivers, i read it from john carmack's .plan. i guess he can be considered an expert too ;)

and they did do this once before... half a year after the release of the geforce256, they did come out with those detonator drivers, which improved performance by almost 20-25%.

of course, it still remains to be seen, since its all speculation about the future.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:35 am

no doubt they can release faster drivers.

I was quite disappointed in the direction of nVidia... releasing the vacuum cleaner..

and as a sidenote: if you look hard enough, you can find a benchmark to prove anything you wish to argue about.

Candide

Postby Candide » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:48 am

Thats true about the benchmark. Personally I find them meaningless, because like you said, whats the difference when you are in the hundreds on FPS??? It's a shame they can't do something like FPS in a 100vs100 battle in daoc rvr. But no way to make sure both tests are the same.

And yes, I specifically recall the patch you are talking about killetas. And it isn't the only one, just perhaps the most signficant one.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Pytt

Postby Pytt » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:32 pm

I have the Nvidia gforce 4 MX 420.. at the time i got it i didnt know it wasnt a good card. Anyone want to enlighten me on this. And the fact that I cant even see my own fuckin sword in DAoC!!

Better yet, who has an old card thats better, that is wiling to part with for a price? Let me know. Rolo
Rolondo the Dog Faced Troll <merlin>
Pytt the Long Backed Dwarf <dark>
Rolondo Alazondo 4lyfe Ba-Giner
Snoopie 70 Gnome mage Dragonblight

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:40 pm

Rolo get in the game! We have a full Planetside outfit too so you have options fucker! BTW throw up some more Vegas pics bro ~
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”