AoN and Boons

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

AoN and Boons

Postby Twystyd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:40 pm

http://postimage.org/image/9ziv5kqw5/full/

We need more boons.

When we encounter an enemy zerg we either beat them with superior small scale strategy, or we wipe. We do not beat them using raw output but there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to. Take this guy from AoN for example:

He has 7 out of 9 boons. He's only missing fury and aegis (which our necro removed) but makes up for it with 18 stacks of might. He's at 33% hp but that's due to the protection boon. If he didn't have 33% dmg reduction he'd be dead by now. And that entire group has all those boons. We are outnumbering this group and they are holding their own and beating us back strictly due to those boons.

Any time I die I like to click on both enemy and friendly players to see how we are doing. I'm noticing a very strong trend; either 1) I've done something stupid, and/or 2) they have a lot of boons and we have none. We can fix one of these.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Moved to the GW2 forum
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm

What should we do to bring group boons?
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Million dollar fucking question. I bet we would have to fuck up all our builds. Kim just got home and were about to eat dinner and then I have a TL raid but I'll try to dig around late tonight. Here is a general wiki resource on booons - http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Boon

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Aegis Block the next attack.
Guardian - Runes/Monk - Skill/ Retreat

Fury 20% critical chance increase. Stacks in duration.
Warrior - Skill/"For Great Justice!", Battle Standard

Might X damage per attack increase. Stacks intensity.
Warrior

Protection 33% damage reduction. Stacks in duration.
Guardian - Runes/Forge - Skill/Hold the Line, Save Yourselves!, several wpn traits

Regeneration Regenerates X health per second. Stacks in duration.
Guardian - Runes/Dwayna - Skill/Hold the Line, Save Yourselves!, several wpn traits

Retaliation Reflects incoming damage back to its source each time they hit you. Stacks in duration.

Stability Cannot be knocked down, pushed back, launched, stunned, dazed, floated, sunk, or feared.

Guardian - Skill - Stand Your Ground, Hallowed Ground

Swiftness 33% movement speed increase. Stacks in duration.

Almost all classes have some sort of swiftness

Vigor Faster endurance regeneration. Stacks in duration.

Ceregon
Guild Drunk

Postby Ceregon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:56 am

Well I bring a good amount of boons, condition removal and conditions to the group and to the enemies. The real issue is are we (you guys) utilizing my spells. As in if you see a friendly ground targeted spell you should be fighting inside of it which I understand can be difficult to do. Listed below are some of my utilities that I bring to the group.

Null Field to remove conditions. Null Field also removes boons from enemies.

Staff #5 Chaos Storm gives random boons to allies and gives enemies random conditions as well as a periodic damage (Also has a chance to give chaos armor which is awesome)

Staff #1 Winds of Chaos does direct damage + adds random bleed/fire/vul conditions to enemies and the bounce back give a random Might/fury boon to the closest friendly target then the 3rd bounce back does the same as the first.

When I shatter clones they remove boons from enemies and add random conditions as well.

As far as massive amount of group buffs that's something I can't really spec in.
Bored.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 am

Ceregon wrote:Well I bring a good amount of boons, condition removal and conditions to the group and to the enemies. The real issue is are we (you guys) utilizing my spells. As in if you see a friendly ground targeted spell you should be fighting inside of it which I understand can be difficult to do. Listed below are some of my utilities that I bring to the group.

Null Field to remove conditions. Null Field also removes boons from enemies.

Staff #5 Chaos Storm gives random boons to allies and gives enemies random conditions as well as a periodic damage (Also has a chance to give chaos armor which is awesome)

Staff #1 Winds of Chaos does direct damage + adds random bleed/fire/vul conditions to enemies and the bounce back give a random Might/fury boon to the closest friendly target then the 3rd bounce back does the same as the first.

When I shatter clones they remove boons from enemies and add random conditions as well.

As far as massive amount of group buffs that's something I can't really spec in.

Mesmer does have some nice boons although it's a bit random or RNG. It's tough to always be watching you Scott when were trying to fight so unless it's called out I am sure we miss some. Anytime you lay those out it should be mentioned in vent. Here is an example of 4 dudes with good communication - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-919RMwy ... _embedded#!

Also notice when they run they support each other instead of just turning around and sprinting off in panic. If people die we all have to port back anyway so we need to do a better job at group awareness and not get a bad case of tunnel vision.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 am

I have a guardian I'm leveling, you're already a shoot warrior, the guardian can bring some combo fields and buffs and i can drop the warrior, i think we just need to make sure we are assisting, calling when running and where we are running to, and maybe try to bring a glass canon aoe dps class as our fifth slot.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 am

Sirion wrote:I have a guardian I'm leveling, you're already a shoot warrior, the guardian can bring some combo fields and buffs and i can drop the warrior, i think we just need to make sure we are assisting, calling when running and where we are running to, and maybe try to bring a glass canon aoe dps class as our fifth slot.

I would be more useful to the group with the elite standard instead of my elite signet that only boons me but I would also have to drop all swiftness (Standard 0 swift) and would be relying on others for any and all speed. I agree on the assisting, we need to work on that. We also need to investigate combo and blast finishers. Assist, Boons and combos are essential when fighting 4-5 times the number of players.

One example Perseus came up with using his power well necro and a theif w/ dagger storm -

Step 1:Necro’s place down wells that are spread out. This creates a Dark field. Keep the field up for as long as possible with multiple wells from multiple people.
    Step 2: Thieves initiate in ( Shortbow or whatever) and use dagger storm to create lifesteal bolts.
    Step 3: Use blast finishers (creates AoE Blind) from other players.
    Step 4: Own everything.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 am

Yeah, but then we would have to be all necro and thief. I think 2x ele, guardian, necro, Mesmer, could be good for it, but we will have to figure out what's up with making them somewhat tanky and use the combo fields to the best possible effect.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Sirion wrote:Yeah, but then we would have to be all necro and thief. I think 2x ele, guardian, necro, Mesmer, could be good for it, but we will have to figure out what's up with making them somewhat tanky and use the combo fields to the best possible effect.

That's a great group right there. AoN runs more of a two group set up (7-10) and they go

Warrior - guild leader
Necro
Thief
Guardian
Mesmer
3+ bunker Ele (Eles have the best combos and can use each others fields)

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:55 am

Well the real question there would be: do dd eles actively use combo fields for any thing other than stacking might, and will it ruin the playstyle to make them wait on certain skills until fields need to be utilized, our do we just drop fields organically and then use them no matter what with whatever skills we would have used? I ask because it's much easier for a staff ele to make use of a combo field with boost finishers on a whim than it is for a dd ele, simply because they have more aoe and they don't save certain skills to combo with other skills.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:53 am

Also, posting on these forums with my phone sucks.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”