My necro build and our group

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Sirion
Ass Jammer

My necro build and our group

Postby Sirion » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:32 pm

So, I'm going to let you guys know what I'm trying to do on my necro, since I might end up playing it in the group with everyone instead of playing on my thief, since my thief really only provides group utility through shadow refuge.

I have come up with some particular runes, sigils, weapons and spec choices to capitalize on the chilled condition (along with other conditions to mask its removal). With the weapons I'm planning on taking coupled with the spec and sigils, freezing should last almost 75%-80% on single targets (spreadable to an unlimited number of people via epidemic every 12 seconds) and plague will be able to AoE chill (and poison and blind) for up to 5 people for 30+ seconds. This should help us take less damage, not let people escape from us as easily, and I will be able to spread conditions like confusion to groups of people once they are stacked.

The spec will be fairly tanky (the necro has 22k health and 2600 armor with rares) and will contribute moderate damage (~2900 attack, 35% crit chance, and 600ish condition damage), but the primary purpose is to keep people in combat with us and prevent us from taking damage the way we currently do. Jason, this might let you spec a bit more offensively or will it will at least allow us to bring in some bursty classes to our empty group spots (as an aside, we really need to start inviting pugs into our groups in WvW so we can get a rapport going on with the people in the game and start filling our slots regularly - we were all pugs to each other at some point in time, and being too elitist is the exact reason why we are always stuck in small groups of 2-3. This will also get our names out there as skilled players and will give us credence to people in wvw, which will be helpful if we want to start contributing to IoJ's success once we get into t3). Obviously this won't be as big of a deal if NoX continues to come pvp, but it seems to me that they are only interested in wvw one or two nights a week, which is the exact reason why I won't be investing into a commander badge for any of them.

In any event, I don't know that this spec will work very well, but I want to give it a try, since it's really follows the 'vision' that ANet has put forth in regards to the class, and I think that if done well it can really help our group's survivability (both because we are idiots that always chase people everywhere, and also because it helps to capitalize on our group's tankiness while also allowing some people to potentially shake up their builds to be a bit more focused on offense). I doubt it will be fun to play this spec without people in the group, so there may be a learning curve for me, but I'll try to work out the kinks soloing with the zerg and when we do small man groups.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 am

As an update, I played around with the build tonight in WvW a bit, the damage sucked and the dots were only ticking for 70-80, but there were always at least 7-10 of them up no matter how fast they got dispelled, and chill was up on numerous opponents for > 15 seconds in a lot of instances (along with bleed and poison).

If the build ends up sucking for the group (the damage I prevent through chills and shit isn't as good as the damage I do on my thief, or would do on a power or condition build), I will probably end up just making a PTV scepter or axe alternative build focusing on prec and conditions with a bit more power, but leave out condition duration and damage almost entirely. We'll see how it works in a group, it definitely doesn't do as much damage as my thief, but it has a lot more control than my thief does.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”