Guild Wars 2 Launch Date

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Oh yeah, and the new ranger pet skill to me alleviated a lot of my qualms about controlling pets as a ranger, which puts ranger ahead of warrior again, though I feel like their utilities are still lacking. Playing a condition/spirit tank build ranger today, I was raping the shit out of people. It was stupidly overpowered.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

LoL Sirion I went from that ranger spirit DD longbow build today back to a warrior build. I got to try out a condition Longbow/swordshield Warrior build that is insanely bursty.

Some of theF2 Ranger pet skills are awesome though for sure and the ranger Greatsword spec is one of my favorite melee weapon sets. I'm still up in the air....

But yea a heavy WvW server is a must..... :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:43 am

The build I played had like 1940 toughness, 18.5k health, and like 1300 condition damage. With a hyena pet for cripples, double knockdowns, and double damage (since it summons a second pet), and the sun and earth spirits for blinds and roots, I could easily kill 2v1s and sometimes 3v1s if the people didn't kill my spirits (which is notably the weakness of the build versus multiple opponents - though I'm certain a damn good heavy condition/tanky build could be made without spirits, since I don't know if I got any of their benefits with this new patch like I did before, outside of the elite elemental of course).

Even if they had heavy condition removal I could reapply 10-15 bleeds every 5 or 6 seconds, and with 50+ crit rate and the sigil of superior earth, almost every crit also caused a bleed. Plus, if you switch to the shortbow fast enough, you can cover your bleeds with a poison condition (same with sword/dagger if you just want to focus on melee and be more evasive). I got a lot of use out of the shortbow flanking stun, but all of this kind of stuff is really only worth anything in sPvP I think. Getting into melee range in WvW is fun, but always dangerous. I think Warriors are better suited for it because their horn 4 breaks roots/snares allowing you to get out easily with something like shrug it off or balanced stance as a backup.

I think what I'll end up doing is making a ranger (condition tank - axe/horn + either shortbow or sword/dagger) probably for sPvP and maybe a bit of WvW, a thief (pistol/dagger or dagger/dagger + shortbow, though I played a little bit with the 1h sword, and I have to say, I get it a lot better than I did before, it just sucks that thieves are much worse at condition builds than rangers and warriors, because if they weren't sword would be awesome for kiting) likely exclusively for WvW, and a Warrior (tank/condition - sword/shield + rifle, or mace/shield + greatsword, or maybe sword/mace + hammer) and use that for sPvP if it proves better than the ranger.

I do know that I'm playing through on the ranger first, because it's the easiest of the three in PvE by far, especially now that you can make the pet retreat to you without having to toggle it into and out of aggressive every single time. Anytime I find some good stuff I'll send it to the others and do it that way.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 am

Nice nice...I played almost that same spirit build with longbow and found it to be amazing against nubs and while defending a keep as noone can really touch your pets if you use good placement. But as you said when I ran into spirit rangers on my War I have so much AE on the longbow I focused the pets and the ranger fell pretty quick unless they were really good.

I'm pretty sold on the warrior at this point as my main. The Longbow/swordshield condition spec is just to much fun to play. I can't wait for the live release, I haven't had so much fun in pvp in forever! :toothy10:

-Bruce Lee

Elfdroper - Merlin

Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Well, I doubt I'll do much WvWvW with the ranger, the pets are a liability because they die to AoE way too fast, and if they did happen to live during keep sieges/defenses it wouldn't really matter too much because you're missing half your damage from your pet.

That said, maybe the best idea is to make a ranger for sPvP and just leave it at level 1 since you automatically get to level 80 with full access to gear and whatnot for sPvP, and instead level my warrior or rogue since I plan to play them in WvWvW over the ranger. I guess that means rifle + sword/shield or pistol/dagger + shortbow. I guess we'll see. Whatever I'm feeling when I load the game up will be what I start out with.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Snufulupagus
L33t Boardwarrioring Assface

Postby Snufulupagus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:58 pm

If you guys want to join PRX, just post on the recruitment forum and list Aegir as the referral. A lot of old DAoC vets in the guild, and half the guild is FoH forum members it seems like so a lot of solid players. OPs were extremely organized. They are also member of Titan Alliance, which is a very large and organized alliance of guilds from different time zones set-up for purposefully for map control. Would love to have you guys around. PRX felt a like like the old BWC guild runs in DAoC.

http://prx-guild.com/Home.aspx

The alliance page is..

http://titanalliance.net/

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:31 pm

PRX I haven't seen that name in ages, always a powerful team.

Snuff this is for you bro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FAXEMCUlNo :toothy10:

-Bruce Lee

Elfdroper - Merlin

Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Snufulupagus
L33t Boardwarrioring Assface

Postby Snufulupagus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Rofl that video is hilarious

Really looking forward to release. BWEs have been a blast. You guys need to come on over with me. We will have fun.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”