Rift

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:03 pm

It's like WoW with better classes but more bugs.

Heres what you do. Level to 50 (1-4 weeks). Gain reputation and farm heroics for purple gear. You be the judge from there bro. The best thing going for Rift is it's not WoW and that is huge for a lot of people but other then that it's a clone.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:31 pm

grats barbos even if you are a traitor :P I think I saw that guy porkette today while rifting.
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Personally I'm having a fucking blast in Rift. I login, gank the shit out of people all day long in what ever area I'm in. If it gets overrun by too many people trying to kill me I queue for Warfronts for a bit then go back to ganking. The PvE content is fun, I love the Rift mechanic which is more or less the same as WAR Public Quests but done correctly. All this game really needs is more Open World PvP incentive and they would have a real monster on their hands. I hope they do spend some time to develop OWPvP content as many people are dying for it.
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer
Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief
Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Oh Barbos I rape that Billyd guy all the time, he's so squishy :P
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer

Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief

Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Zeratulx wrote:Oh Barbos I rape that Billyd guy all the time, he's so squishy :P

You'd be raping me all the time if I PVP'd more. I'm butthurt all the time :(

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:13 am

I guess I just have to ask how OWPvP incentives would work in a game where a gross population imbalance would effectively stymie the potential for an entire faction to enjoy OW anything. The only counter I could see would be if they minimized the PvP active zones ala WAR - which sucks; or if they create zones specifically for PvP - which has potential, but still sucks unless there are enough of them and the goals are compelling enough to make people want to do them.

Realistically, the days when pvp could be about pvping are gone, there has to be some reason for today's gamer to do pvp. With that stipulation stated, it has to be understood that players are going to do whatever is fastest in order to garner those rewards. If that means quickly queuing warfronts that are boring then that will be what they do; if it means going to a huge OWPvP zone and fighting there, then that is what they will do. The problem is the development time that went into warfronts will be effectively lost at the endgame level if OWPvP zones are superior for point/gear/rp/whatever farming. DAoC's OWPvP system only worked because the BGs were limited to 49 for the majority of it's life, and only to 3.x after that; because they had 3 realms to balance population concerns; and because there was a huge variety of goals and zones to work in.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm highly interested in the game; I just don't see how going to Rift is going to be any different than playing WoW. The game may be better looking, the pve may be fun, but if the PvP (the only thing I really want to change from in WoW) is no different, then why bother?
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:51 am

Sirion wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm highly interested in the game; I just don't see how going to Rift is going to be any different than playing WoW. The game may be better looking, the pve may be fun, but if the PvP (the only thing I really want to change from in WoW) is no different, then why bother?

I'm with you Chris. This is exactly what I was trying to say last night in our conversation.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 am

I agree with you guys, this game definitely isn't ground breaking. I never expected it to be; I'm playing because I like playing games at release, monty does a good job getting people together, and because I don't have a job haha. It's like every other quest to max level, run scenarios, raid at 50 to get gear type of game. I hate the fact the mmos today don't really promote group leveling, I hate solo questing. The only truly unique thing I've noticed is the ability to completely change your character's role with a push of a button. The good side of this is flexibility, because people who don't want to roll another character because they don't like their current are more likely to quit.

The sad reality of today's mmo is that game companies want money like blizzard. The truth is pve makes money, and pvp/rvr doesn't. Unless a game comes out with 3 factions and open world rvr that truly makes a difference in the game, we will keep seeing the same old crap. One of the things that made people get so involved in rvr in daoc, was the fact that controlling zones and relics benefited everyone on your side no matter what they like to do. Getting truly powerful abilities from doing pvp, is what really motivates people to get out there. Ya it meant people rr10 would destroy rr1, but it motivated people to get out there and shoot for rr10. Most mmos today just give you gear as a reward for pvp which isn't enough.

There's my long post, hope you read it :P

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 pm

Barbos is the man! Plinking the defiant zerg on Seastone. My Rogue is 37 asi have leveled almost exclusively through Warfronts and world ganking.

I hope to be at cap and Sniping my arch rival Zeratul at +35 meters soon.
On another note I am happy to be having some fun world pvping for the 1st time in awhile. :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:32 pm

I absolutely agree with you; the way that current developers craft incentives for PvP completely undermines the fact that PvP should revolve around a dynamic endgame experience.

I suppose the problem is that the community needs something to aspire for. In DAoC the community was conditioned from the beginning to go for RPs; at first they were a measuring stick in and of themselves, but eventually they became currency to buy abilities. I'm not even sure that when Dakkon hit 1 million RPs, the first person in the game to do so, there were even incentives yet beyond the fact that the Camelot Herald posted people's achievements online in a venue that the entire populace could see.

I've always been an advocate that things like Arenas and competitive PvP should provide essentially trivial rewards - things like titles and sweet mounts. Incentives for people to push to do them, but that don't set them on uneven ground as far as gearing is concerned. The problem with WAR RRs/gear, DAoC RAs, WoW gear, etc. is that they fundamentally alter the starting game for new players being introduced to pvp in the game. If you go back to DAoC right now as something that was moderately high 7 years ago, say RR8 or 9, half the population is going to blow you the hell up because of the ridiculous increase in potency provided by those extra x.x realm levels. The same happened in every arena season in WoW for the first x%age of the season; if you were a new player who freshly hit 70/80/85 you were in for a miserable grind to get enough gear to be competitive. Using DAoC as an example, when there were no RAs in place, you could level a new toon to 50, gear him out in SC'd gear, and be on the exact same playing field as everyone else, with the exception of being '51' (rr5).

I think a PvP focused game could make money easily as long as the entire world wasn't PvP based. I like to think of DAoC as the foundation of *virtually* perfect World PvP in so much as there were clearly articulated homeworld realms that were unassailable, but which formulated an ideological homeworld for people to defend. You go into the OWPvP zones (frontiers) to do PvP and realm defense/offense, and you stay in the realms themselves to do PvE. In this system one could escape PvP if they weren't in the mood to participate in it, and others could venture into the frontiers at their own risk. PvP servers like those in WoW and AoC and WAR really don't do much but allow for people to gank other people not looking to fight with nigh impunity. It's fun being the ganker, but not fun being ganked.

I think I have a few ideas that I think would make for an awesome experience during leveling which would fuel personal realm pride, enmity between other realms and a desire to defend and assault; but I'm no developer, so there is no avenue to utilize them. All I can do is hope that someone out there figures out what makes a good pvp game and is willing to settle for not trying to dethrone WoW from the king of mmo kings. Of course, this leads to the problem of reconciliation between PvP and PvE and their subsequent endgames. If the PvP isn't forgiving enough for new players, then you will have a game that cannot grow, simultaneously if it is too easy, then you have a game where everyone gets bored and quits. Likewise, if the PvE content is trivial and boring, no one will want to do it, so the PvP would need to be epic in scale with a multitude of diversions that one could partake in that would all be equally rewarding.

I dunno, it's moderately crazy to think about, but I think one of the problems with development these days is that WoW is used as the model too much because of the ridiculous amount of money that Blizzard has made from it. Streamlining leveling to be soloable has killed community and grouping so much that most new games have to implement a PQ system in order to force grouping to happen. I hate pugging right now, but in DAoC that's all we had. It's too bad too because all of the lasting friendships I've made in games were a direct result of pugging with someone, enjoying the group, friending them, and doing it over and over.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Sirion wrote:I dunno, it's moderately crazy to think about, but I think one of the problems with development these days is that WoW is used as the model too much because of the ridiculous amount of money that Blizzard has made from it. Streamlining leveling to be soloable has killed community and grouping so much that most new games have to implement a PQ system in order to force grouping to happen. I hate pugging right now, but in DAoC that's all we had. It's too bad too because all of the lasting friendships I've made in games were a direct result of pugging with someone, enjoying the group, friending them, and doing it over and over.

QFT

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:36 pm

can't wait for the new angry birds mmo i can play on my iphone

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 am

:(

Return to “Gaming Discussion”