Civ 5 Impressions

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Civ 5 Impressions

Postby Twystyd » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Okay, So I've played CiV through Emperor difficulty a few times now. I'm going to ramp up the difficulty to Immortal and see how it goes. I wanted to post my interim impressions on the title. I've played all the versions of Civilization in the past and likely will try all the future versions.

The Good -

Hexes

I like the hexes a lot. I like how they affect movement, I like how they affect warfare, I like how they affect city growth, I like how they affect the way the map looks. It all feels much more organic.

City Growth

I really like how cities grow with culture now. One tile at a time is very cool. Again, it seems so much more organic than how 1-4 did it. I also like being able to buy more squares, it's a nice added bit of planning.

New Combat/1 UPT

I always hated "stacks of Death" in previous versions and 1 UPT (unit per tile) got rid of those. I really like how ranged units actually have range. This is one area where Civ has gotten better with each iteration since 2. I also like the red arrows for bombardment options.

Cities Defending Themselves

I like cities fighting and defending themselves.

Natural Wonders

I think the natural wonders are a nice little addition to the game.

Social Policies

I like the social policies. I like spending culture. In each game I find myself really thinking about which policy I want in terms of both immediate needs and long term goals.

Domination Victory Condition

I like how it's based on people controlling their capitals now. Much better than how 4 did it (I found the land mass requirement in 4 to be fairly prohibitive).

Embarkation

Embarkation is great, because dealing with transports is a serious pain in the ass that really didn't add much to the game.

Space Ship

I like how the spaceship is built and then transported to the capital to be assembled. It gives you a way to prevent someone from winning via the Space Race. However, there should be other ways of interfering.

Strategic Resources

Being required to actually have a supply to build units/buildings is great. I actually went to war over resources in one of my games because I wanted coal for factories. In 4 that wouldn't have been required if I had even one source. This is a huge improvement.

I also really like how they are displayed across the top of the screen.

Tech Trading

I'm glad this is gone. I actually turned it off a lot in 4 because I hate it. The research agreements in 5 seem pretty good.

Happiness Causing Golden Ages

I like how it adds a reason to try and have large amounts of excess happiness. In 2, happiness leading to We Love The King Day was fairly powerful (+1 City Growth per turn for Democracy/Republic, no corruption for other government types) so you had a reason to get happiness and eliminate unhappiness. I don't remember happiness in 3 all that well, and in 4 I never found a reason to have happiness more than "just enough to avoid unhappiness."

Unhappiness Causing Penalties

-1 to -9 hurting growth, -10+ causing production/fighting problems. I like that it's more than just "no Golden Age for you!" Also decrementing the Golden Age counter is good.

Notifications On The Right Hand Side

I like the UI here. I like the left-click to go to/right-click to ignore interface. I like how the "End Turn" button changes to "Choose Production", "Move Unit", etc. I also really like how you aren't forced to cycle through all your cities at the start of your turn. Doing it when I want during my turn makes me much happier.

Great Person Generation

I like how each type of Great Person is independently gone after. I like the additional control this allows in trying to get great people. Nothing aggravated me more than focusing a city on Great Engineer in 4, just to have that 5% Great Prophet chance hit.

Great General Being Intrinsically Useful

Moving the Great General around the battlefield to maximize his synergy bonus is neat. It adds a definite tactical feel to using the Great General. I almost think it might be better to make him a military unit though, to prevent him stacking.

Advisers

Ahh, welcome back my minions although I really miss the animated advisers from 2, they were awesome.

No Sliders

Too much micro is for fags.

The Bad -

AI Behavior, Oh The AI Behavior

This may be the weakest AI yet. Leaders do not city spam before turn 100, there is no organized battle plan. The AI being a heaping pile of dog shit is the worst thing about Civ 5 and needs to be a priority.

Tile Yields, Resources And Improvements

Resources are too weak. In 4 you planned city sites around what resources you could see because the yields really mattered. In 5 they simply do not. The only improvement worth anything is a mine.

more to come...
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Pytt
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Pytt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:12 am

Since my laptop shit the bed, I have been w/o PC games for like 7 months now and i am finally getting back into the mix now that my work is buy ing me a new laptop and i am secretly going to be gaming with it! Get ready to get served up a ncie piece of ass whooping. No more AI worries cause I am gonna be working that ass.

ps get on some bad comapny 2 .
Rolondo the Dog Faced Troll <merlin>
Pytt the Long Backed Dwarf <dark>
Rolondo Alazondo 4lyfe Ba-Giner
Snoopie 70 Gnome mage Dragonblight

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Pytt wrote:Get ready to get served up a ncie piece of ass whooping. No more AI worries cause I am gonna be working that ass.

ps get on some bad comapny 2 .

Haha, can't wait brotha. I'm getting tired of spanking the AI. I don't have BC2 mang. How about Borderlands and the xpacs? I believe the Game of the Year edition is out.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Return to “Gaming Discussion”