Dawn of War 2 play it!

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Gorilla
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Dawn of War 2 play it!

Postby Gorilla » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:10 pm

if you like tactical games requiring..constant fighting,lots of abilities,with the added COH mechanics you will like it.
Pain is weakness leaving the body

The residing KING latino

Chogall rapist

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:49 pm

The first one and the xpacs are a blast. I used to play that a ton. I like how you can change terrain by blowing shit up to a greater extent in 2.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:02 am

:toothy10: Playing beta now and it's a ton of fun, lotsa action and pretty sick graphics. Only downside is you need Xlive AND Steam to play:p :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

TrollFunk

Postby TrollFunk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:39 am

Been playing it since beta started, its good fun but it gets abit like "bash the goofer" deal where you chase around for the victory locations and such.

oh, and Assault Marines are freakin' awesome.

p.s Xlive name is Seviander.
Last edited by TrollFunk on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Phineas
Proud Defender of the 19th Hole

Postby Phineas » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:06 pm

I can't wait until the single-player campaign is available.

Supreem
Ass Jammer

Postby Supreem » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:17 pm

My xlive account is Wiredmessiah if you see me on feel free to invite me to a game.
Wiredmessiah - Eve Online

:blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8:

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:19 am

OK I had a couple days to kill in south Texas so I picked this up this weekend. It plays quite a bit different then the first DoW. For one there is no base building...the game is entirely squad based. Your commanders do not die they are just "knocked out" and "revived." The campaign was as entertaining as most single player games and border on being dark (which is refreshing). One of the last missions you will go through is a suicide mission where your only objective is to fight to the last man. There is absolutely no way to win. The graphics are great and the game has a streamlined but functional UI where simple use of hot keys allows minimal mouse usage. I just started ramping up the UI difficulty levels on multi-player but essentially it's the same as every other resource gathering RTS. It's not a bad game over all IMO and would suggest it to any die hard Warhammer fans or casual RTS players. It may be too limited in building options and be a little dumbed down for hard core RTS gamers. I hope all is well.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

TrollFunk

Postby TrollFunk » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Played it through twice on Primarch difficulty(hardest level). Saddens me there is nothing really unique about the replayability of the game outside the unit specs.

The wargear is the same shit all the way through and once you've depleted the games armoury it just hands you more missions without any reward...

also the last mission is a total letdown imo..last stand my ass, you get to do that for 3 minuts before you get orbital support at go onwards with the mission....

Really disapointed with the game, tracked it for along time and it just looked awesome all the way through, but after completing it the first time around it just got so darn boring......

Also, would not recommend Empire: Total War. That game is all the glitter and panagë of Medieval II, but without the awesome looking close combat. Its all about rank and fucking file in that game zzzzz....

Want some fun, go grab Day of Defeat Source...lots of old maps remade anew.
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Also, would not recommend Empire: Total War. That game is all the glitter and panagë of Medieval II, but without the awesome looking close combat.

Bah that's too bad Funk. I was looking at picking that up next since I enjoyed the original Rome. I also agree with you that the DoW 2 was a little bit of a let down from the first one. It took all of a day to jam through the single player campaign on the default difficulty, never having to worry about being challenged or losing.

Just a note, I'm not liking all this shit I have to download to my machine (like steam) to play these games. I'd much rather add codes then run these background programs.

TrollFunk

Postby TrollFunk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 am

I perfer Steam over other means of DRM. EA's way is just fucked up but verification through steam honestly made me a happy camper because through steam i could get all the updates i needed with max usage of my 20mb broadband connection.

2.16mb download rate...booyah! :biggrin:

Also, from my perspective, having steam running in the background isn't a ressource hog, but then again i got a quad core with 4gb memory so it really shouldn't be a problem to begin with.

Also, just checked out the new World in Conflict expansion. Soviet Assault...BUG FEAST!. You can't launch the Soviets 2nd mission and it was only just today that Massive Entertainment acknowledged it and have been work on fixing it.... :huh:

Major letdowns across the board for all new releases in the RTS genre.

Looking forward to trying out Rome: Grand Ages (Caesar V :p )

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:30 pm

All DRM's suck balls man, including steam. It has nothing to do with resources but it's another program I have to close down when it's not in use and another pile of shit software application I have to worry about in regard to wtf is it checking and sending. Throw in the fact you have to create accounts to even play online...fuck that. I can't stand this achievement trend all the companies have gone to and is flaunted as the "carrot on a stick" for signing up. It sucks in WoW and it sucks for xbox live. I could give a shit about what territory you rode your horse through, how many 40 yard field goals you kick in Madden, who you are fucking and what drugs you have crammed up your nose recently. I almost feel a Tool song coming here...

I'm about to start the new unnamed Blizzard alpha and am pretty excited about it. The new project is unlike anything Blizzard has ever put out and like all new games I'll hope for the best. I actually reloaded Civ4 to try a few new mod packs for it and will probably pick up the upcoming Fallout3 xpac to blow up some zombies in Pittsburgh. I just hope I can harpoon Jerome "The Bus" Bettis fat ass in the xpac. As far as MMO's go I may just hold out for a few years and try KOTOR online. I missed out on all the sci-fi MMO's and I'm finding the fantasy genera a little stale. Of course it doesn't help that they all suck recently.

TrollFunk

Postby TrollFunk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 pm

I just hope I can harpoon Jerome "The Bus" Bettis fat ass in the xpac

Bwahahahaha

Sectoid
Pathetic Chode

Postby Sectoid » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:55 pm

I've been keeping an eye on KOTOR online as well as I think the fantasy genre is getting overdone. Also found this sci fi third person shooter MMO Global Agenda that looks pretty interesting. If you played Planetside they seem to be taking some of the good parts of it and putting it into their game. Here's the trailer, http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42147.html it even comes with campy rehearsed commentary!
Kandar/Hamback

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Sectoid wrote:I've been keeping an eye on KOTOR online as well as I think the fantasy genre is getting overdone. Also found this sci fi third person shooter MMO Global Agenda that looks pretty interesting. If you played Planetside they seem to be taking some of the good parts of it and putting it into their game. Here's the trailer, http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42147.html it even comes with campy rehearsed commentary!

Hell yea man if it comes with a campy trailer it has to be top shelf! Sweet thanks it does seem like an updated Planetside. I played PS for a couple months back in the day. I actually liked it but it got a little redundant and it was certainly a zerg contest.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”