A Few AoC Odds and Inns (Elfdroper post too)

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue May 06, 2008 10:06 am

Candide wrote:That's what I want to see, what are the point of the border kingdoms. If it is like daoc's frontiers fighting for resources for each guild, I'll be fine. If it is a copy of wow battle grounds (the minigames only) then I'll try pvp server.

I have to have a reason to pvp, I don't gank, and don't want to be. If there are cities, dungeons, resources to batle over, great. If it is just to be an ass, no thanks. I get the politics, I enjoy it too. But if even on a pvp server the dungeons are going to be instanced and the cities are going to be no pvp flagged, it sounds like there is no gain and just annoyance.

If the border kingdoms are just for the 8 guilds with battle keeps, then it will suck.

Wish they would lift the NDA on closed beta folk. It is encouraging no one is really breaking the nda, other than a few comments here and there. No huge "this game sucks" blogs like most NDA breakers for a beta do.

Well said man I can understand that for sure.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

boubou
Dickfingers

Postby boubou » Tue May 06, 2008 10:37 am

I am also intersted in playing, but I am also getting older and carebear server would be better for me, but if all the guild goes ffa then I will be the sheep and follow.

I am not sure for classes, tank or healer, depends which seems more fun and what the guild needs.

btw, I hate the whole pre-order and get a little gift, but which one is better, mounts ? items ? etc

Boubou

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 pm

I'm sure there will be competitive PvP on both servers I just find that FFA servers don't hold the population for very long, and spread fighting out to broad of an area. People Like their Emains to fight in. Giving someone the slick willy in the butt when they are at 30% fighting a mob might seem like pvp but it's not.

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Tue May 06, 2008 3:01 pm

"Giving someone the slick willy in the butt when they are at 30% fighting a mob might seem like pvp but it's not."

Quote of the day!
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer
Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief
Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue May 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Yea hanging around by yourself at 30% is probably a poor idea and if thats going to be an issue WoWs arena structure is probably your safest option. That is an issue with all pvp server types not just FFA.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Amit
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Amit » Tue May 06, 2008 6:23 pm

I tend to agree. PVP hardcore servers sound good at first, but in the end the populations become so low that they fail. Honestly I think RP PVP servers seem to have folks willing to fight and stay around more.

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Wed May 07, 2008 12:51 am

Twystyd wrote:Yea hanging around by yourself at 30% is probably a poor idea and if thats going to be an issue WoWs arena structure is probably your safest option. That is an issue with all pvp server types not just FFA.

Right finding a group of people to zerg down solo's just isn't entertaining for me in any pvp game. I don't need a dumbed down arena system to get competitve PvP. Good players generally find themselfs making those fights happen with or without that type of mechanics structure.

PK systems are starting to evolve slowly. For instance some games have a Vengence FFA PvP system, if someone kills you, you get a one time instant teleport to their location to use whenever you want. Great for those slick willies cruising around in the molester van waiting to tap and spam /emote after a tough fight with someone else.

I'm also VERY keen on a properly balanced bounty hunter reward system.

Nobody LIKES dieing in a video game but it's naturally going to happen. As a developer you have to create mechanics that make them want to come back! How many of you have logged after a fight pissed off that you died? I know i'm guilty.. now imagine being able to fight that same person again on this time on YOUR terms say with a vengeance type system. It would give you a reason to get back in the action. Unless of course you engaged in a tough 1v1 and got your ASS kicked, you know you can't beat the player with a vengeance system. But YES you could zerg him down but what would be the point of that when he would use it on you and give you another BEAT DOWN? hmm... maybe LRN2PLY better? Not rely on other people to kill for you? now i'm just talking CRAZY talk I know...

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:36 am

nah I like those ideas, I don't mind dieing in a fair 1v1 fight. If I die, I just try to learn from my mistakes. Keep me updated on where you guys choose to roll, I'll be joining a month late though unfortunately.
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed May 07, 2008 5:14 am

Those are some interesting types of pvp your describing Ting.The teleportation systems sound like they may provide descent travel exploits but cool none the less. I can understand not enjoying zerging, you know my thoughts on large scale pvp, but good players will find competitive group pvp as often as solo. The reason I brought up arena is it allows everyone to start at ground 0. That sounded important to you. You all get full health, buffs and all your cool downs so you can't blame losing on much. You know better then anyone else here I'm not a huge fan of that system and it certainly has flaws but it does provide a balanced fight for the most part. Theres always going to be gear, ping, class makeup issues. It does however take away excuses like, I was fighting a mob, I was AFK, my cool downs were not up. My biggest issue w/ the arena system is its still just a farm. There is no reason to fight but to get points for gear.

If you want to solo you really limit your class selection and unstealthing on another player using stun lock mods, never allowing them to move is dumbed down pvp as well. I guess after playing both pvp and normal servers in WoW and DAoC I miss the political culture pvp servers have as strange as that sounds. You bring up some valid issues though because we all know there will be ganking and there will be mass recruiting zerg guilds running around like the old Midgard zerg. I guess both server types are needed for this very reason, to cater to different play styles.
Last edited by Twystyd on Wed May 07, 2008 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Wed May 07, 2008 7:07 am

So, my question, before we even get to pvp/rpvp/pve rulesets is: is the guild as a whole considering AoC as the next game we are going to try together, or is everyone going to just hop into the game and land where they land?

I understand leadership was an issue in WoW, especially with the endgame being PvE based when the game first launched, rather than PvP like we were used to. Personally, I don't particularly care what game we play, what side/faction we play, or if we PvE or PvP, I'm just looking to play in a good community again, with friends that play to have fun and don't suck. I want to be able to log in, see people doing something, and not say to myself, oh fuck, I'm 5 minutes late and they already have 25 people, I guess I'll go grind dailies or get some faction farming done. I miss logging in, seeing people in a frontier, getting an invite to the BG without any problem, and getting out there even if it takes a while. Then having a night full of fun with the friends I've made in and out of guild. Maybe it's nostalgia, but everything in WoW seems disconnected to me, the PvP is a meaningless grind to get better gear, and the PvE is restricted to 25 people at any given time as far as real progression is concerned.

Anyways, it's whatever for me, I'll wait for WAR or play AoC, I like hearing the goods and bads about both games, I'm just hoping that whatever game we play, we get a decent number of people to jump in, I doubt it will ever be like it was in DAoC again, but hopefully at least some people will want to play together again.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Zeratulx
Pathetic Chode

Postby Zeratulx » Wed May 07, 2008 7:34 am

I agree Chris, I will go where ever the guild decides to go. Nothing can bring back the old days but we have to make the present as meaningful and joyful as we possibly can. I guess there should be some final decision made sometime soon.
DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion - Rift - GW - SW:TOR - GW2

Zera Targaryen - 80 Mesmer

Zera Giantsbane - 80 Thief

Zera Plaguewind - 80 Necro

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Wed May 07, 2008 7:58 am

:toothy10: You guys make some good points. From what I've followed on the AoC forums a lot of the community has been follwing this game for awhile looking for the FFA pvp that the game has to offer.

Just what you both said, people are sick of pvping for gear and want to get back to pvp that has penalties, UO and Mordred.

So that being said I totally agree with Ting that typically pvp servers breakdown, it turns to many people off because they are just to hardcore for most. Honestly I think the AoC pvp servers will be highly populated because of the community that is playing the game. Just a thought.

I'm still game to roll either although i think Pvp will be more fun. :toothy10:

edit: Forgot to add these two great Feat and Ability trees that just came out.

- abilities- http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/30805

- feats - http://goonheim.com/goonheim/feats/view/assassin
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Wed May 07, 2008 10:33 am

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread ... pvp+server

70% voted For a FAA Type System but still 25% will take on Normal, Figure the people not in beta (casual gamers) will pick normal as well.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread ... pvp+server

There are 3 reasons why I'll wait to see if the PvP Server is a success.

1. No penalty from dieing (Remember wow Graveyard camping? Fun right?)

2. Instanced PvP having rewards that exceed regular Open World play. (WoW Battlegrounds anyone?)

3. Releasing a PvP FFA Loot Server after release for true PvP death Penalities. How many hardcore pvp guilds will your server loose then?

I've done quite a bit of reading and seems to me lots of people want this loot server (looting corpses for items/money) who are for the FFA servers. I also read that they will release a loot based server after the official release if enough people want it. After a few months if they release a Loot Based server and PvP servers can hold the population in the meantime. I won't rule out the option of rerolling. However, at release I'm not confident they can pull it off.

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Wed May 07, 2008 11:08 am

So here is my post to the AoC PVP forums, maybe someone here can answer as well?

Ok, so when this game was first talked about, it sounded like DAoC in a way, where there was pvp flagged areas (Border Kingdoms right?) like the Frontiers in there. In the BK's guilds would own cities and battle each other for resources and prime spots.

Now, it sounds like there are 8 Battle Keeps that the guilds can fight over. If you aren't one of those 8 guilds at the time, and aside from silly mini games, what meaningful PvP will go on? Again, this is on a PvE server.

Is there more to the Border Kingdoms than just the Keeps's. I would hope there is, but wasn't sure. I don't want to run there just to have mass battles for now reason other than to gain points to be the next in line in the Keep fights.

I don't mind the scheduled Keep battles, I actually like it somewhat (hated the stupid 4am ninja raids). But what (aside from dumb mini games) are we to do between battles?
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed May 07, 2008 1:29 pm

I don't mind the scheduled Keep battles, I actually like it somewhat (hated the stupid 4am ninja raids). But what (aside from dumb mini games) are we to do between battles?

That is one of my issues with a normal server man. At least a pvp server will provide constant pvp. Also the keep battles have to be accepted by both sides from my understanding. I'm not exactly sure how that will work out. What insentive would you ever have accepting a challenge when you have a chance to lose a keep?

Return to “Gaming Discussion”