Dragon Raid Tactics

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Rhiandra Rangnar
Donkey Fucker

Dragon Raid Tactics

Postby Rhiandra Rangnar » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:08 pm

Greetings BWC Peeps!

I wanted to share with you a tactic that I know led to the falling of the Dragon.

It's a little spell that I always refer to as a powerful tool that goes unnoticed and unused. It's called Wake Oblivious.

When the dragon fell it was on the 4th attempt I believe, I was not present for the first 3 attempts. I arrived shortly before the attempt that was victorious.

Now, I knew that WO has a 100% chance of landing, yes, 100% chance (which is prolly based on mob lvl vs player lvl) at any rate JOKINGLY I told Lucinda "I'm gonna run under her belly and spam amnesia to amuse myself." Well, when charge was called I ran with the tanks and proceeded to position myself beneath the dragons belly and starting spam casting WO on her. To my surprise IT LANDED, it landed over and over again, and she died.

Not only was the dragon defeated, but the 100 or so players who had died with every other attempt ALL walked off alive. Not one death during that battle. Not one.

So, what made that final attempt different than the previous ones? It was Wake Oblivious.

I suggest assigning 2-3 level 50 healers to go into battle with the tanks, positioning themselves beneath the dragon and using this tactic.

Her AE's are random, so try to stay towards her tail or at the very least mid belly.

It only takes one person to screw up a dragon raid for everyone, so following orders during this battle is of the most important.

Also: I was thinking about what the dragons powers/resists/weaknesses were and she reminded me alot of the dragons in ToV in EQ, there is one dragon especially who not has a wicked AE spell that deals out damage it is coupled with knockback. After dying to this dragon several times, my guild used this tactic:

A group of all clerics was formed as well as a group of pure tanks.

Tank group was given a line up, such as;

Rolondo you are tank #1
Gundorf you are tank #2 etc.

The tank group was lined up in "attacking order" so in this case Rolondo would be tank #1 so he would be drawing the aggro to himself against dragon.

While tank #1 draws the aggro to himself the healer group has him targetted and keeps him alive. In group chat the healers hotkeyed a macro that simply read "Next Healer!" and the healers would in perfect rotation keep this tank alive as long as possible.

In the meantime Tank #1 has aggro focused on him and once it is determined that said tank has aggro fully on him the remaining tanks joined in the battle. If Tank #1 dies raid leader would call out tank #2's name to draw aggro on themselves and to alert healers who to target and heal.

This tactic worked. This tactic worked so well that the use of a Main Assist (tank line up) became everyday practice for us.

I know that it has been said that spells should not be used while engaging in battle with the Dragon we have to contend with, but perhaps by sharing various tactics we could come up with a tactic that would work for us each and every time.

I also think it's a good idea that we keep our tactics to ourselves.

Just my two copper.
Rhiandra Rangnar
EQ ----> DAoC ----> WoW ----> boredom
[fade]Over 1 million mezzed and counting .........[/fade]

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:14 pm

Very nice post.

Where were you guilded before BWC?
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Guyute
Incompetent To0l

Postby Guyute » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:15 pm

I only know one tactic:

ZEEERGGG@!

Seriously tho, if WO works... by all means =)
Retireded

Rhiandra Rangnar
Donkey Fucker

Postby Rhiandra Rangnar » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:46 pm

For the majority of my time on Merlin I was independant. I was in Genesis very briefly returning to independence then joined PRX just before Mordred went PvP and played with them for awhile. Took a 4 month break from Merlin and upon returning joined Myth.

Had a guild as active as BWC been around when I first started playing, I'm sure I would've made that my home and stayed there.
Rhiandra Rangnar

EQ ----> DAoC ----> WoW ----> boredom

[fade]Over 1 million mezzed and counting .........[/fade]

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Return to “Gaming Discussion”