Rogue classes:

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Beratuul
Ass Jammer

Rogue classes:

Postby Beratuul » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:43 pm

viable? decent to solo with? good in groups? or a class that will take months to become viable?
Casper, Svenegal, Tassadar, Maurs, Maurier, Perigrine, Du Maurier ( I go by these names).

My shit tastes like corn.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:55 pm

no

Beratuul
Ass Jammer

Postby Beratuul » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:02 pm

why?
Casper, Svenegal, Tassadar, Maurs, Maurier, Perigrine, Du Maurier ( I go by these names).

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:57 pm

because

Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Postby Rhuac » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:25 pm

GNOMES RULE!!!1
Rhuac
Talks Like A Gentleman

Zoidmeister
Donkey Fucker

Postby Zoidmeister » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:05 pm

Based on what I read rogues are more viable than hunters in pvp.

From my brief one day playing a rogue at low levels they feel harder to level than a mage at least. Getting them to high levels may be like DAOC pre PL spots ... hard to get groups/levels etc.

Keep your eyes peeled to PVP forums on WoW boards for more info ... surprised VN doesn't have a WoW PVP forum yet.

Rhuac you like fuggin gnomes - ewwwww! That little newbface grin they all have I can't help but wanna fry em on my UD mage!

Nese
Keyboard Molesting Forum G33k

Postby Nese » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:21 pm

From my experience in the stress test, Rouges are fun as hell to play but hard to solo with without killer gear. Most other classes can get by with some subpar gear solo, but a rouge cannot.

If you don't have a good group of people to quest with, it will take you a long time to level. They aren't that wanted in grinding groups, but since most of the xp you get is from questing I don't see it being that much of a problem.
Mitzuki - 50 Savage - Merlin
Linia Bluebomber - 50 Runie - Merlin
Chirigami - 50 Thane - Merlin *mule*
Yushiro Gowa - 50 Champ - MLF *traded*
Nese Starrwind - 50 SB - Merlin *traded*

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:46 pm

Me and filth both have rogues mine is 16 his is 60 ><
But when I leveled up pre Talents it was MURDER, after talents rogues got better I actually find it really challenging to solo, you do hella dmg but you have to be smart and more often than not you cannot take 2 on 1 but 1 on 1 you can dump a shit load of pain. With the more advanced tricks soloing beacomes alot easier as long as you play smart you must sneak around and use all of the tools you have not like DAOC /spam GARROTE to win, IE sneaking backstabbing poison, KICK, SAP etc.
Fun class to play but it gives me carpal
[glow=blue]
A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject
and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:17 pm

I have never had a problem doing anything solo on my Rogue. I did quests that people had to group for solo as low as level 10. I solo'd the majority of my levels on Avari, and I passed everyone in my guild reaching level 60 with roughly 21 days /played. This is all while leveling Skinning and Leatherworking to Artisan/Elemental/Dragonscale/Tribal, and spending probably 5 days /played at the level 55 cap.

Rogues don't NEED uber gear, you just have to know that you aren't going to be killing mobs your level as easily as a Warrior will kill mobs his level. Leveling efficently as a Rogue is all about using your killer DPS to utterly destroy slighty lower level mobs so fast that they can't do much damage to you, therefore minimizing downtime to virtually nothing. Warriors can do similar things of course, but they can't do it anywhere near as effectivly as a Rogue until they get Mortal Strike, which, I'm fairly certain, won't be too widespread on live servers where Warriors won't be able to respec their talents on a whim.

As far as grouping is concerned, a Rogue is probably one of the best sources of DPS in the game. That being said however, there is nothing that a Rogue brings to a group that a Mage cannot also do aside from scouting and lockpicking, which, in my personal experience, have been virtually useless. If I have a Warrior a Priest and a Mage in my group, I have no problems getting a Rogue for one of the last two spots, but the bottom line is, I would probably take a second Mage over a Rogue as things currently stand. Sheep and AE plus their *good* (not always best, but always good) single target damage just totally outweighs anything the Rogue has to offer.

I was PvPing on my Rogue today, and it was pretty fun. Beat the shit out of a few Shamen some Mages and Warlocks. Warriors are pretty hard to kill in PvP, but currently I think the Rogue is fairly viable, and the Warrior is slightly overpowered (although it will remain to be seen how overpowered they continue to be in retail with the way talents will work and whether or not MS will get "fixed"). I don't think there is any real reason to not want to have a Rogue in a PvP group... Blind Sap and Stuns are VERY useful, not to mention crippling poisons instant poisons etc.

Play it in open beta and see how you like it is the best advise I can give though. So far I've played a Priest, a Rogue, a Warrior, a Warlock and a Mage, and I have to say I've liked them all.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Beratuul
Ass Jammer

Postby Beratuul » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:18 am

thanks

Nese

Postby Nese » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:50 am

What Sirion said... umm yea :biggrin:

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:26 am

I like you to filth

<3

<3 warlock

<3 <3 Sham sham
[glow=blue]

A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject

and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Postby Rhuac » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:09 am

Bah who cares about the smirk on their faces. It's all about the Gnome /dance.
Rhuac

Talks Like A Gentleman

Nese

Postby Nese » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:03 am

Sirion, have you had a chance to play around with any of the high level talents? I'm very curious as to which ones are worth the points. Here's what I was looking at for a template. Its Combat heavy, but I think it would also work well as a one-hit-wonder on soft targets.

Subtlety Mastery
Master of Deception
Rank 5/5
Increases your Subtlety skill by 15.

Camouflage
Rank 5/5
Increases your speed while stealthed by 15%.

Opportunity
Rank 5/5
Increases the damage dealt when striking from behind with your Backstab, Garrote, or Ambush abilities by 20%.

Improved Ambush
Rank 3/3
Increases the critical strike chance of your Ambush ability by 40%.

Subtlety Total: 18

Combat Mastery
Improved Sinister Strike
Rank 2/2
Reduces the Energy cost of your Sinister Strike ability by 5.

Improved Gouge
Rank 3/3
Increases the effect duration of your Gouge ability by 1.5 secs.

Lightning Reflexes
Rank 2/5
Increases your Dodge chance by 2%.

Improved Backstab
Rank 3/3
Increases the critical strike chance of your Backstab ability by 30%.

Precision
Rank 5/5
Increases your chance to hit with melee weapons by 5%.

Dual Wield Specialization
Rank 5/5
Increases the damage done by your offhand weapon by 50%.

Combat Total: 20

Assassination Mastery
Improved Eviscerate
Rank 3/3
Increases the damage done by your Eviscerate ability by 15%.

Remorseless Attacks
Rank 5/5
Gives you a 100% damage bonus on your next attack after killing an opponent.

Malice
Rank 3/5
Increases your critical strike chance by 3%.

Murder
Rank 2/2
Increases your chance to hit while using your Sap, Ambush, Garrote, or Cheap Shot abilities by 5%.

Assassination Total: 13
Total
Total Points Spent: 51

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:37 pm

I'm not sure at this point, I have a template built right now that's really awesome, but unfortunantly they changed the talents' requirements so it's no longer possible to have. I need to check over the new skills and see what's available, but I'll get back to you on what I think will be a good template when I get a chance... ><

As for your template, it all sounds good to me, but I'm interested in seeing how well the talent that adds an extra combo point per crit on a style is in practice.... ><
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”