Planetside Projected Release Date- May 19th

BWC announcements and broadcasts.
Phineas
Proud Defender of the 19th Hole

Postby Phineas » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:40 pm

As of last week, the beta just expanded from 50 to 500 users, so its still pretty exclusive.
I don't know of anyone that got in yet.
There's a beta journal on the site that talks about it a good bit.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:40 am

:mrgreen: Anyone found any site on the character development for PS? :mrgreen:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Joshll
Donkey Fucker

Postby Joshll » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:52 am

Just reading the Sony web site I don't think there is a whole lot of character development. As you progress you pretty much just get better armor/gear it sounds like. You can train some skills, but it also sounds like you can detrain and pick some others.

I've thought this sounds more like a persistent worlds "Tribes" than anything else.

Still, I'll give it a shot. 38 years old I can still outfrag most of you youngsters!

Here are some quotes from their site:
Although PlanetSide is an action game focusing on Player vs. Player combat, it's also a persistent game world with context and background fiction. You'll join one of three empires, each fighting for their own ideology and for domination of the planet Auraxis. The battles you win will affect the course of all future battles.

PlanetSide play is based on your skill, not the character's skill. Your character will advance in levels, gaining access to a wider variety of equipment and implants, but your performance with that equipment will depend on your own dexterity. Your "kills" are decided by accuracy, not by a server generated "to-hit" roll. So, if you're a skilled casual player, you'll be on a level playing field with hardcore players.

PlanetSide will offer many play-style options; you don't have to be a soldier to enjoy PlanetSide. Just as an RPG group needs a cleric or a rogue, for example, your PlanetSide squad will often need a hacker or a medic. Combat engineers, stealth fighters, drivers, armored troops, pilots, commanders and many other roles will be integral parts of the game. To switch your game role, you will be able to change your certification. Since character death will be part of the game dynamic, a non-combat role might be more desirable to you.

Achievement in PlanetSide will come from playing the game. You will not spend your time locked into repetitive activity to advance. Advancement will be a direct result of the battles you are part of and your performance in those battles. If you're in any of the battle support roles, such as hackers, medics, engineers, and others, you will also be able to advance with the game through actual play.

PlanetSide will be a social game, too, in which you can communicate with others through chat channels similar to your favorite MMORPG. As with an RPG guild, your PlanetSide outfit will provide a group experience with teammates.

PlanetSide is a whole new world, but you will have no problem finding your place in it.
retired

Beratuul
Ass Jammer

Postby Beratuul » Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:11 pm

Its twitch gaming with a catch. You'll have consistant battles, and you'll be able to craft/sell shit.

it will atleast get my attention for 2 months or so, until the summer comes, then I'm outtie again till September.

Its only sunny two months in Canada :/
Casper, Svenegal, Tassadar, Maurs, Maurier, Perigrine, Du Maurier ( I go by these names).

My shit tastes like corn.

Return to “BWC Guild News”