BWC announcements and broadcasts.
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Elistist Guilds Eliminate all the Fun

Postby Twystyd » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:10 pm

Elistist Guilds Eliminate all the Fun

Written by Andrew Kelly

July 21, 2003

On many servers you may have noticed certain small guilds forming that typically only admit a few of a realm's most effective RvR classes. All else need not apply. More often than not, you'll see these sorts of guilds running solo in Emain in their own groups and chat groups not bothering to give any of their realm mates the time of day as they seek out their counterparts from the other realms. Guilds like this have turned a casual RvR scene, where an entire realm once united to destroy its enemies into an elitist grudge match where various factions are competing to see which one of them can get their name plastered across the Herald more times than the other. They're focused on one thing, and one thing only - realm points.

While this may be fun and enjoyable for the members of such guilds, where does that leave the casual player who might not have eight hours a day to devote solely to racking up realm points? Where does it leave the players who aren't in large guilds, or RvR-centric guilds? I'll tell ya where - standing in the portal keep begging for a pick-up group all the while being ignored by self-proclaimed "l33t" guilds that seem to think they're better than everyone else, and that anyone with a realm point total smaller than seven figures doesn't deserve to breathe the same air that they do.

This creates several problems for the realm. For one, nine times out of ten, these guilds aren't the slightest bit concerned about their realm, or their realm mates. You'll never see them running with the zerg, even when it's necessary to stand a chance against an opposing zerg. You'll never see them clearing DF for lowbies when the dungeon changes hands, or participating in raids, be they dragon, relic, keep or dungeon. They follow the realm points, and the realm points stay in Emain. No, chances are you'll never see them anywhere but in your realm's premiere power leveling spot, twinking their latest FotM rerolls to fifty so they can get back to inflating their virtual ego with a hefty realm point total. It's a shame this often comes at the cost of a realm's overall RvR prowess, as experienced RvR leaders and players leave long established guilds to join guilds such as these.

Secondly, it forces anyone seeking a truly satisfying RvR experience to seek admission with a guild of this sort, because as aggravating as they may be to their own realm, they know how to have a good time. If all players begin to gravitate to guilds of this sort, it would only further drive a wedge between the casual player and the powergamer, the RvR focused and the PvE focused, until we have roughly four guilds per realm, per server. It's almost ironic that in trying to preserve their individuality by limiting their numbers, and the classes they admit, they set an example as if to say "this is what you need to do if you want to have fun in RvR combat". I, for one, don't want to see my server plagued with absolutely nothing but these guilds.

To conclude, I'm not entirely opposed to these types of guilds, because not all of their members are bad people. It's the effect that they have on their realm as a whole. Time and time again I've been on relic raids where the assistance of guilds like this would've made all the difference between victory and defeat, but they're simply too proud to give up a bit of their autonomy, even if it would benefit them all in the long run. Go figure.

Story
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Joshll
Donkey Fucker

Postby Joshll » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:13 pm

I'll be pretty damn desperate before I ever do an emain pickup group again. I'm too used to grouping with my friends, people who know how to work as a team. :P
retired

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:51 pm

I'm with you Josh.

I should note that articles posted here are not always authored or even agreed upon by BWC but I feel that a well written article with content makes for a good read regardless of opinion. I disagree with many points this author tried to reach but I also feel this article is nice work put up against most gaming thoughts scripted in the community ~
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Pytt
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Pytt » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:24 am

What the fucking difference as long as your with people you know, and can have a laugh with. Its as Ive always said, the fun of any online game is rocking out with the people you know will get your back. Fuck man, why waste time grouping with some asshole you never seen, and doesnt know his ass from his elbow.
Rolondo the Dog Faced Troll <merlin>
Pytt the Long Backed Dwarf <dark>
Rolondo Alazondo 4lyfe Ba-Giner
Snoopie 70 Gnome mage Dragonblight

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Elbow

Postby Winke » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:33 am

Rolo isn't the Elbow bone attached to the ass bone? /shrug

Winke :dontgetit:

Pytt
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Pytt » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:35 am

Only when your dad's fisting you, I suppose. :biggrin:
Rolondo the Dog Faced Troll <merlin>

Pytt the Long Backed Dwarf <dark>

Rolondo Alazondo 4lyfe Ba-Giner

Snoopie 70 Gnome mage Dragonblight

Beratuul
Ass Jammer

Postby Beratuul » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:14 am

You dad fists you Rolo? Weird, my mom does mine.
Casper, Svenegal, Tassadar, Maurs, Maurier, Perigrine, Du Maurier ( I go by these names).

My shit tastes like corn.

Return to “BWC Guild News”