Question about the guild name?

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Sirion
Ass Jammer

Question about the guild name?

Postby Sirion » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:37 am

So I just Google searched Team Ice Wildstar to see if we had signed the guild up for any of the guild lists that have been thrown around here or there and to see if our guild has any visibility in relation to Wildstar, and I'm seeing that team<AVID> is stipulating that they have former Team Ice members joining them.

Now, I don't know if any of us were in Team Ice, or if Team Ice still plays, or if Team Ice members are going to be in our guild, but I find myself wondering why we're using Team Ice as our guild name. If I played in Nihilum from WoW I wouldn't be trying to name this guild Nihilum (because this guild is not Nihilum - incidentally, I also wouldn't call it Bloodwinter Clan, because it wouldn't be that guild either).

I don't particularly care what tag we fly, but I'm going to be pulling my TI avatar and sig from the CU forums until we figure this out, because I'm not trying to accidentally misrepresent myself as though I'm from another, well-known WoW guild, some of whose members are apparently still active and joining other bleeding edge, progression focused guilds.

These were the fourth and fifth links that showed up from that Google search (behind three links to team-ice.net):

http://www.eq2flames.com/all-other-vide ... dstar.html

http://www.teamavid.com/forums/showthre ... Raid-Force
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:18 pm

I saw this last night as well and already removed the Ti tag on the CU forums. I never felt fully comfortable pretending to be Team-Ice in the first place but when Chris and I saw this it's safe to say none of our crew are going to fly that name. I love the current Ti crew but intentionally piggy backing the name of an accomplished guild feels very dirty. I just want to stress this has nothing to do with the players. The real Ti accomplished a lot and none of us were there for any of it. It's not even a particularly awesome name to begin with and I would hate to run into Ti members in W* or any other game. Sorry fellas I hope we get a chance to game together but we can't be pretenders.

This Opi kid seems to be the only out in the open Ti
Heres Opi WoW armory
Last edited by Twystyd on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:30 pm

For me it's not about the group of players or anything like that, it's just the name in general and why we're using it at all in the first place. If we're going to be merging with the majority of the original TI then I guess I could get behind using the name (though I don't find it to be the most compelling guild name I've ever seen), but I don't even know if that's what's happening (plus, I don't know anything about the original TI and I've never played any games with them so it's hard for me to even say if I'll enjoy playing with them, let alone make a commitment for a game a few years down the line).

I know that I am absolutely against using the name if we're taking one or two players from TI and then acting like we did all the things that TI did while in WoW (because I know for damn sure that over 90% of us had little to no connection to TI in WoW - but the written history on our guild website makes it look exactly like that's what we're doing).
Last edited by Sirion on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

NoobieOne
Ub3r Albino Board Troll

Postby NoobieOne » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 am

I'll probably see if we can get arctix to comment on this as it is something pretty interesting.

Arctix
Respectable Gimp

Postby Arctix » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Nobody is piggy backing anything.

I was in Team Ice and asked Rombus (the leader) if it was okay that we rebrand Team Ice and move forward with the name, and he was okay with it. So much in fact that he registered on our website, but doesn't have enough time to do much of anything other than work.

There is no piggy backing going on. The only thing the other Team Ice members that aren't playing wow are doing is playing DOTA 2.

So feel free to put the Ti back on because we are the embodiment of Team Ice 2.0, and have the full support of not only the former leader, but the Co-GM as well (Footspeedy is aware of it as well).

A quick history:

When Wrath came from DAoC to WoW, some of us played with Serenity Now, Fatal Destiny, and some of us stayed in regular Wrath, however, with Kobo leading, we were approached by Team Ice (EQ2) and asked if we'd be okay with playing under the Team Ice tag. This is in the Vanilla WoW days and BC days. We all did and had a great run all the way to the end. My toons on Illidan are still in Team Ice and Wrath. Nobody is taking any fake credit, or piggybacking, or claiming to be anything they're not. That is why I chose Team Ice as the name because I felt that represented that I wanted to do more than anything.

I hope that clears some stuff up.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks Arctix, I don't think we feel as bad about it knowing Rombus or whoever was leading Ti gave his blessing. You used the word 're-branding' and we would feel even more comfortable if we chose that route instead of claiming we are Ti 1.0 (like the history on the site seems to indicate). They seemed to have quit focusing on raid progression in 2010 and we did see you knew them on the forums. We just didn't want to pretend we are one of these guys when none of us are. That's the group of players that accomplished what we are claiming to accomplish on the front page which sounds a bit pretentious.

For example I have allowed people to use the guild name Bloodwinter Clan in games however I get upset when people don't ask (ala GW2 some fanbois took our name) or they make claims that are fabricated even if they were using our name. It would be like a member using the name and claiming he lead all our relic raids and developed our strategies when they didn't even have access to our officer boards and never lead shit.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Return to “Public Discussion”