UFC on Versus Predictions 3/21/10

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

UFC on Versus Predictions 3/21/10

Postby Twystyd » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Jon Jones vs. Brandon Vera

A very very tough fight to call because Brandon Vera on paper and Brandon Vera in the Octagon are two entirely different propositions. On paper, Vera's polished Muay Thai game should be able to overcome Jones' unpolished improvising. And his Greco-Roman skills should allow him to (mostly) keep the fight standing and even if it goes down, Vera's jiu jitsu advantage should be manifest. But alas, Vera has a bad habit of coasting through fights, getting sucked into pointless clinch battles and not going for the kill. If he loiters in Jones' clinch, he'll go flying. Jones by decision.

Junior Dos Santos vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Dos Santos really hasn't been tested on the ground in his UFC career. If Gonzaga can focus on what he does best, he should be able to take Dos Santos down and submit him. But Gonzaga thinks he's a stand up warrior so I expect he'll try to trade with Dos Santos to disastrous effect. Dos Santos by TKO.

Cheick Kongo vs. Paul Buentello

Kongo has a nice arsenal of standing strikes. Buentello has a hard right straight punch. Kongo should be able to beat Buentello standing or take him down and pound him out on the ground. Buentello snuck back into the UFC because they were in a defensive signing mode. He'll be gone very soon. Kongo by TKO.

Clay Guida vs. Shannon Gugerty

Clay Guida ought to be the fighter nicknamed "The NightMare" because unless three rounds of being on your back is what you're craving, he's a terrible opponent. He'll do the same thing to Gugerty he does to everyone else. Guida by decision.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:03 pm

Good Fights this weekend, couldn't see the fights until sunday unfortunately. Mir got stomped which doesnt surprise me. Carwin is a monster and just grapevined him up like a ragdoll. Gonna be a tough fight for brock but if he's smart and out wrestles him he'll win.

Nice win for Jones but Vera never really impressed me, I don't know if I'd consider him in the top 10 of the Light-Heavyweights.

If anyone saw the Riddle Soto fight the ending was crazy. Unintentional Illegal upkick. The doctors are complete idiots lmao. Wish I could find the video link. :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:26 pm

For the record I nailed all those fights....hellz yea. Agree on Vera man hes probably somewhere around 15th in the world and 12ish UFC for 205Ib. I would list him in the Chuck Liddell & Keith Jardine range.

Jone is a beast, I did a write up on him a couple months ago. Think of an unpolished, larger, faster, stronger and younger version of GSP. The sky is the limit for this kid and he has one of the best trainers and camps in the world. I would like to see him against Luis Cain or Rich Franklin next. If he wins that fight they need to scale his competition to a top 10 guy like Forest or Little Nog.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Return to “Public Discussion”