Fighters to Watch in the Next Ten Years

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Fighters to Watch in the Next Ten Years

Postby Twystyd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:13 pm

pic courtesy of sherdog.com

Jon Jones
Promotion: UFC
Class: Light Heavyweight

Imagine a video game character come to life, and you have a good idea of what it’s like to watch Jones compete inside the cage. Known for a repertoire of incredible throws and sweeps, backed by a striking game that features moves like spinning back elbows, he seems the kind of fighter who could redefine the modern mixed martial artist.

While Jones’ synthesis of technique and talent made him a highlight reel regular long ago, his decision to train with Greg Jackson and Firas Zahabi may be remembered as the move that made him a superstar. With two of the sport’s best trainers by his side, the decade to come could be the one in which Jones makes the transition from exceptional talent to unforgettable fighter.

Jones has already proven that he has mastered all three phases of the game -- striking at range, clinch fighting and ground fighting. He is very very young and should continue to improve by leaps and bounds as he matures to his physical peak (28-32). Jones has a freakishly long reach, incredible power and off the charts quickness...physical advantages that you either have or you don't.

I'm still deciding who is next between Aldo, Mousasi and JDS.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Postby Winke » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:04 pm

This guy has some sick throws which he combines very well with his standup. I agree he is definately the future of MMA and I see him with a belt in the future. Long reach doesn't begin to describe the mutated length of this guys extremities, he is like a fucking Orangutang (sp? the primate with long ass arms).

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Winke wrote:he is like a fucking Orangutang (sp? the primate with long ass arms).

I call the unusual primate Mourningblade. BTW, where the fuck has that crazy Oregonian been? It's not like there's anything else to do in OR but farm animals and troll forums (assuming they have internet). I agree with Winke though...when I started thinking about 2010 and the next ten years this guy stands out as the future. I'm doing a quick write up on Mousasi next with Aldo coming up in a few days.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:46 pm

Gegard Mousasi
Promotion: Strikeforce

The beauty of a sport as dynamic as MMA is that charisma is better expressed inside the cage than on the microphone. There can be no better example of this axiom than Mousasi, who, despite having the personality of drying paint, has become a fan favorite thanks to a unique fighting style and a flair for the exotic.

Hitting leg sweeps off one’s back as easily as one uncorks a high kick will secure one plenty of followers, and Mousasi’s ability to keep his opponents perpetually off guard while staying remarkably composed sets him apart from so many of his contemporaries. That trend looks like it will continue in the decade to come, as Mousasi has only now started to find his groove at light heavyweight and has made no secret of his plans to move to the heavyweight class someday.

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Postby Winke » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:18 am

Twystyd wrote:
Winke wrote:he is like a fucking Orangutang (sp? the primate with long ass arms).

I call the unusual primate Mourningblade. BTW, where the fuck has that crazy Oregonian been? It's not like there's anything else to do in OR but farm animals and troll forums (assuming they have internet)

Haha you're kidding but it's nearly true he is helping out his mom who owns a farm with all sort of animals,milking cows and feeding goats, and shit. he is also busy looking for a job.

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Postby Winke » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:20 am

Twystyd wrote:Image

Gegard Mousasi
Promotion: Strikeforce

The beauty of a sport as dynamic as MMA is that charisma is better expressed inside the cage than on the microphone. There can be no better example of this axiom than Mousasi, who, despite having the personality of drying paint, has become a fan favorite thanks to a unique fighting style and a flair for the exotic.

Hitting leg sweeps off one’s back as easily as one uncorks a high kick will secure one plenty of followers, and Mousasi’s ability to keep his opponents perpetually off guard while staying remarkably composed sets him apart from so many of his contemporaries. That trend looks like it will continue in the decade to come, as Mousasi has only now started to find his groove at light heavyweight and has made no secret of his plans to move to the heavyweight class someday.

man I don't have Showtime so no way to follow/watch Strikeforce. But that poor Sukajo (sp?) dude is always someones stepping stone or whipping boy.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:16 am

I like Mousassi for sure, well rounded and has a lot of composure/experience. Jones has the tools I want him to fight some decent competition.

Sokaju is a really talented fighter he's just never mentally prepared for his fights, if he could get his shit together i think he could do well.
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Return to “Public Discussion”