UFC 107 Quick Thoughts

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

UFC 107 Quick Thoughts

Postby Twystyd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:54 pm

I know there's not many MMA fans but Elfdropper and I follow and we had our Super Bowl last night. Elf I hope you enjoyed the fights as much as I did last night. BTW was it me or did both Mir and BJ sound unusually mature last night (usually two douche bags)?

Penn v. Sanchez

I have never seen a person more busted up then Sanchez that fight. According to Fightmetric Diego landed a whopping 8 strikes. BJ landed a mere 150. For those of you that don't know much about fighting...um...that's bad. When was the last time that BJ Penn got taken down while fighting at 155 pounds? Answer: You have to go back more than six years to Penn's fight against Takanori Gomi. Lightweight opponents are 0 for their last 39 takedown attempts against BJ. Scariest thing about BJ Penn is he could fight at 145. All his loses come to guys 15 pounds or more heavier then him (GSPx2/Hughes/Machida).

Mir v. Kongo

When Mir set his toe, it was all over but the sleeping. Ideally you’re supposed to move your body to the opposite side of the choking arm...I mean my 3 year old nephew knows that, but the cage blocked that route for poor KingKongo. If the leg on the side you’re moving to isn’t trapped it often blocks you into an open half guard type situation. At that point you have to go to the open side and as long as you can establish side control you’ll be safe from the choke and your head will start sliding out. Kongo moved the right way in that situation but Mir was aware of it and stayed ahead of him easily by 'grape vining' the open side with his leg. Mir hands down has the best ground game of any UFC heavyweight. He looked strong too...the leverage point on that bottom choke displayed a ton of strength.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Yea both were exceedingly mature in their whole game for sure. Penn I expect it from Mir I was surprised about but the guy is still a chump as far as his ego goes.

The penn fight I only saw the 2 rounds so far but it was pretty apparent BJ wasn't being fooled by the takedown attemps and just more on top of striking.
Won't really comment anymore because I havent seen it all yet. Penn is one of the few guys i don't know a ton about but he's fast as fuck for sure. What still impresses me is that GSP was so much quicker but I don't know if that was Penn sucking at the weight gain.

I honestly thought Mir was done after Lesner and was hoping Kongo could keep it on his feet. He finished well after the Left Canopener, which I think is one of the most underutilized punches in mma, it looks like your droping to shoot and then bam. But that choke was vicious for sure and you right I watched it again and Kongo does roll but Mir ties him up well with the double grapes. He was out for abit though for sure...lol scary.

Good event for sure I'm gonna see if the rest is downloaded :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:12 pm

What still impresses me is that GSP was so much quicker but I don't know if that was Penn sucking at the weight gain.

GSP is an insanely gifted athlete with the most explosive double leg take down in MMA. I think Penns too small for 170. He could probably beat 90% of the 170's out there but it's not where he belongs.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Postby Winke » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:07 pm

nice commentary. I'll wait till it's free on spike or dvd.

Winke

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:17 am

Somewhat obscured by the 'big name' match-ups was the Struve v. Buentello fight. I found this fight extremely enjoyable, especially the first round. It was not necessarily a good fight, but it was fun to watch. Since I was rooting for Skyscraper, I was quite pleased with the result, however I was somewhat surprised by the scoring. The two sane judges, scored it 10-9 Struve, 10-9 Buentello and 10-9 Struve, thus giving a victory for Skyscraper 29-28. Anyone else find the 28-28 score by the 3rd judge intriguing? I can only assume he scored a 10-8 first for Struve who had Buentello in a pretty bad position for the entire first round.

Photo by Dave Mandel via Sherdog

Round 1 Struve completely dominated probably influencing the 10-8 on the 3rd judge. I was a little disappointed that Struve didn’t do more with that back mount and body triangle in the first but he stayed aggressive easily won the round. He's also going to need to add to his stand up as the fight took on a 'Street Fighter' element with each fighter spamming the same 3 moves. Struve went 'full retard' in round 2 nearly spoiling things for himself. Repeatedly charging forward with your hands down in a professional fight is never a good strategy. Then in round 3 he remembers that he’s better than that and starts to throw leg kicks with impunity sealing the bout.

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Yea Struv was imppressive in that fight all around. I don't like his knees though and your right Twyst I don't know what he was thinking chargeing in like that.

He reminds me of Sammy Schilt, go figure being from holland, but I think he needs to try to put on some weight to be a force as a heavyweight.

There are too many big talented wrestlers in the heavyweight division and i dont think he has the strength to deal with them. He is 6 11 though so who knows. :toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight

Elfdroper - Merlin

Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Return to “Public Discussion”