Tingtongs Bright Mage / Sorceress Write Up

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Tingtongs Bright Mage / Sorceress Write Up

Postby Twystyd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Having played a Blight Wiz since the release of 3.3 (Played up to Rank 35ish and Renown Rank 31) I pretty much have a pretty good understanding of the class as well as the deso sorc. Now I haven't played a sorc for more then maybe an hr but I got a good understanding of what the class offered as well, since most of the spells were the same as the Blight.

Here the are major differences between a blight and a sorc

1. Blight has a self armor buff while a sorc has more dps proc buffs.

2. Sorc has a nice single target spec while the Blights lack good single target dps but make up for it in dots and spash dot damage spec

3. Sorcs single target damage had the ability to spike around 2k crit in part to a talent that gives them a 50% bonus dmg to all criticall attacks. While blights at most spiked around 1300 on crits. (these are on scrubs will minimal resists as well)

3. Both Classes have a similar PBAE spec. I will also say the sorcs pbae is a lot less visible then the blights ground effect.

The is a very broad review and I will not go into detail the minor indifferences each class's spell list.

I found both classes got a significant boost to DPS in part to the resists, however I did notice going against solid tank groups running resist aura's that nice dps dropped off VERY fast. Infact, a tank with 1 healer made it almost impossible to kill and spike down and this was in random pugs. I ran into 1 guild group (Carnage) and the most I hit the guild group tank for was about 400ish on crits but averaged 150-200nukes on the tank with 6-7k hp. This was at 100% combustion. If 1 tank got on me with the chain casting snare I was pretty much doomed and this was with 2 pocket healers healing me.

Now resists and DPS can always be offset by nerfs, boosts just like this last patch to help balance the field of play. However, there are 2 fundamental downfalls to casters that unfortunately will never change.

1. The lack of CC as a caster. 1 pbae root is a last ditch attempt effort and something completely futile when you are jumped by a rogue or even a heavy melee, the shear amount of dps and stuns will prevent you from getting away period. (pre-kite right? the more you run away the 0% contribution you do to a group in terms of dps)

2. The combustion mechanic as a caster is not only annoying but severely hampers your dps. If you don't purge your combusion every 8-10 casts (8-9 seconds of DPS playtime) you will take 840HP backfires on every damage spell you do. The think it's around a 50% chance or something. Not only that! YOU have a chance to backfire with any amount of combustion (starting from your first cast!), although it is less frequent and for less damage as a caster you are constantly taking damage while your trying to do dps, let alone if your taking damage from someone else. So not only are you a healing sponge when your DPSng your almost impossible to keep up with more then 1 rogue on you with a healer.

The 1 thing these classes have going for them is range, and the pbae. I was able to use my 840 feedbacks along with my pbae and do massive amounts of spike damage to zergs grouped together with 2 pocket healers. Both classes get the ability to do 50% of their feedback damage back to anyone in a 30yard radius. Which means as I was throwing down 400-1000 pbae waves every 2seconds and was doing an additional 420dmg in feedback damage. This meant while everyone was doing 50-90k dps in a scenario I was doing 200-250k

I think this class will do great against zergs and keep sieges, however it has a 0% chance at seeing open world grp vs grp combat because of it's lack of cc and limited amount of dps and survivability of the class. Tank knock backs are better ccers and the damage the do is minimal and will be even less once people start getting better gear and template for resists. It may seem like a lot of damage now against random scrubs, but like I said before I noticed a huge difference almost 50% reduction in aura's/buffs and decently geared people.

I love the class but I think this game in open world will end up being a tank/healer assist train without CC. With tanks being able to guard a target and create a 50% reduction in damage to a guarded opponent, it makes the hardest hitting and most surviveable class in-game pretty much unkillable with 2 healers in the group unless you get massively zerged down.

Anyways thats my 2cents. the class is SUPER fun to play with pocket healers and scrubs but very unwelcoming solo or for competitive PvP.

Edit- P.S. I almost forgot to mention THIS is the class to level with in pq's 50% tank damage reduction + your pbae + 1 healer = PQ's LOLOLOLZ
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Return to “Public Discussion”