WAR

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Tingtong
Ass Jammer

WAR

Postby Tingtong » Sun May 04, 2008 11:08 pm

any news on future delays?

TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby TrollFunk » Mon May 05, 2008 3:07 am

Haven't heard anything else that it was delayed til Q4...no surprise there tho.

Has for a personal shot on this i'd say summer 09 is the sweet spot for W.A.R's arrival.

And ofcourse Blizzard had posponed their WOTLK expansion to match W.A.R launch frame. :huh:
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Candide

Postby Candide » Mon May 05, 2008 3:36 pm

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/ ... _VotM.html

Is this a freaking joke? This is the #1 rated video, and from marketing? This looks horrible. Oh, let's make some really big and tall monsters! WTF. Combat so slow it looks turn based.

The graphics look WORSE than WoW???

Man oh man.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon May 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Candide wrote:http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/flash/2008_03_VotM.html

Is this a freaking joke? This is the #1 rated video, and from marketing? This looks horrible. Oh, let's make some really big and tall monsters! WTF. Combat so slow it looks turn based.

The graphics look WORSE than WoW???

Man oh man.

Ive been in beta for over a year now. Think I was #60ish and I hate to say it but yes it's that bad.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

TrollFunk

Postby TrollFunk » Mon May 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Word.

Game looks like shit and i can't believe how the fuck they can allow combat to be so slow and....whats a good word....ponderous?....

You could play a chess match between each freakin' swing :P
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Sectoid
Pathetic Chode

Postby Sectoid » Mon May 05, 2008 5:17 pm

If you thought DaoC combat was slow, then you might think this is slow also. The graphics are definetely better than WoW. Although they are outdated, I personally have always liked the graphics of WoW because of the art style it was taken from (war 3).

If you guys haven't noticed these were all PvE fights with the players auto attacking mobs. I guess you guys were expecting everyone to be running around with BFG's and sniper rifles? The way you guys talk, you should apply to be critics for PC Gamer.
Kandar/Hamback

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Mon May 05, 2008 6:00 pm

its strange i think the GFX look good but for some reason it runs like ass on my system when im in there form of BG's

From what I played over the weekend it looks like its shaping up nicely imho.
[glow=blue]
A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject
and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

Sectoid
Pathetic Chode

Postby Sectoid » Mon May 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Yeah same here. I get some spotty framerates in certain areas. I'm reserving final judgement of the game til around open beta though it definetely is improving.
Kandar/Hamback

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Mon May 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Lets see, AoC started development in 2003, and is using directx10 game engine.

WAR started in 2005 (2 years later) and is using directx9 game engine.

If Mythic doesn't emulate what it did with daoc then they have an EPIC FAIL on their hands. Like sectoid I'm reserving my final judgement for Open Beta. I have my own reservations about it becoming the next Duke Nukem Forever..

I always tell people who play wow with me that if DAOC was released NOW instead of 2001 millions of people would be playing it.

Also I could never be a critic for companies like PC Gamer, just for the fact that I would never want to acquire "gifts" or "Advertisement Sponsorship" to write better reviews about a POS game or hardware. :nervous: :onfire:

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue May 06, 2008 5:49 am

Also I could never be a critic for companies like PC Gamer, just for the fact that I would never want to acquire "gifts" or "Advertisement Sponsorship" to write better reviews about a POS game or hardware.

ROFL
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Candide

Postby Candide » Tue May 06, 2008 7:30 am

Dude, it is described as a marketting video. You are trying to garner interest in the game. Do you honestly think that was an exciting video? Do you think people will look at this and think, oh wow I want to buy that!

It is (supposed) to be a huge pvp game, yet all they show was lame autoattacks against other mobs (no, i couldn't tell if they were mobs or players, except the obvious ones against big bad gusy). All they showed was autoattack except for maybe once or twice. I don't care about the equipment (although it was lame everyone looked exactly the same).

Also, I think wow looks better than that. I did like the wow graphics too, like you said it is more artistic. But this looked like wow on low. A game being released several years later. Yeah graphics aren't everything, but again, if it is a marketting video maybe use a client that can set the graphics higher??

NOTHING in that video made me think "cool". In fact it made me think "lame". The only people defending it are those who are in beta, so I guess there is some hope. But that video is shit.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Keabit Guinness
Donkey Fucker

Postby Keabit Guinness » Tue May 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Candide wrote:Dude, it is described as a marketting video. You are trying to garner interest in the game. Do you honestly think that was an exciting video? Do you think people will look at this and think, oh wow I want to buy that!

It is (supposed) to be a huge pvp game, yet all they show was lame autoattacks against other mobs (no, i couldn't tell if they were mobs or players, except the obvious ones against big bad gusy). All they showed was autoattack except for maybe once or twice. I don't care about the equipment (although it was lame everyone looked exactly the same).

Also, I think wow looks better than that. I did like the wow graphics too, like you said it is more artistic. But this looked like wow on low. A game being released several years later. Yeah graphics aren't everything, but again, if it is a marketting video maybe use a client that can set the graphics higher??

NOTHING in that video made me think "cool". In fact it made me think "lame". The only people defending it are those who are in beta, so I guess there is some hope. But that video is shit.

As far as gear. Is it just me me or did anyone see the scene with the human running up the hill solo? Did he have an updated "Battler" sword in his hand? I do have scroll 3/3 if he needs it!
Maybus-Ranger-Aion

Journeyman Electrician

I have never been an enthusiast of the more obscure holidays like “Groundhog Day.” This type of holiday made more sense long ago when Doppler radar was not available and faith in groundhogs was stronger.

Sectoid
Pathetic Chode

Postby Sectoid » Tue May 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Well IMO the biggest difference in quality of graphics is more apparent on the big character models and races like tauren/orcs where their hands/feet are nintendo 64 quality. I don't think that video was necessarily intended to be an advertisement of the game, so much as a sneak peek of the style/direction the team is going with.

Also most of the characters they showed were in level 1-5 gear it looked like. It gets much better at level 40.
Kandar/Hamback

boubou
Dickfingers

Postby boubou » Tue May 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Damn battler, lol, it was the reason for the first time I quit DAOC, could not get the damn battler for my merc. Stupid TOA. Dont say battler again, or scrolls of .. I will have nightmares and wont be able to sleep. When I dont sleep, I tend to fire people, so be nice. :)

Boubou

Mxa merc 50 with no battler
Justice (a long time ago)

Return to “Public Discussion”