HDDVD vs Blu Ray WAR over WINNER: Blu Ray

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Tingtong
Ass Jammer

HDDVD vs Blu Ray WAR over WINNER: Blu Ray

Postby Tingtong » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:09 am

Time to throw out the HD-DVD players, if you did manage to buy one.. LOL at you... enjoy your betamax DVD player. With the technology around blu ray it's a wonder HD-DVD took off at all.

Also behind closed doors at CES 2007, Ritek has revealed that they had successfully developed a High Definition optical disc process that extends the disc capacity of both competing formats to 10 layers. That increases the capacity of the discs to 250 GB for Blu-ray compared to 170 GB (HD DVD now permits 17GB per layer) for HD DVD using the same process. However, they noted that the major obstacle is that current reader and writer technology does not support the additional layers.

Time Warner’s Warner Bros. studio Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp’s Blu-ray format, dealing a big blow to Toshiba Corp’s rival HD DVD technology. Warner Bros, Hollywood’s biggest seller of DVDs, representing about 18 to 20% of sales in the United States, was one of the few studios that backed both formats. All sides of the format war had agreed it was confusing to consumers and a stumbling block for a potential multibillion-dollar industry. Total DVD unit sales fell 4.5% in 2007, the first major year-over-year decline since the disc format debuted in 1997, according to Adams Media Research. Sales fell 4.8% to $15.7 billion.

“The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers,” Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement. News Corp’s 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney, and Lionsgate are among studios backing the Blu-ray format. Viacom’s Paramount studios and General Electric’s NBC Universal release movies in HD DVD format.Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Supreem
Ass Jammer

Postby Supreem » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:18 am

Id be willing to bet that neither of them win. Its only a matter of time before digital distribution removes the need for hard copies completely.
Wiredmessiah - Eve Online

:blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8:

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Unfortunately that will never be the case. Look how it impacted the recording industry with CD media, with DRM and all the other failures of digital media distribution. What sucks is say the company you bought your digital media from goes under, your screwed.

Hard copies much like anything is a form of ownership that can't be beat. With rental company's such as Netflix hoping on board with ON-demand HD-TV over the internet. ( http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0104/p25s01-stct.html ) Customers can get their HD fix without having to walk into a store and rent. It's no different then cable or satellite on-demand right now. But outright ownership of the media I think will never change. The formats will always change with technology.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:31 pm

I prefer hard copies, because it's much harder for them to lock me out of that. Digital is convenient, but hard copy is better.

Plus it will endure more compression if you have to download everything over the internets. And it clogs the tubes :huh:

Augomatic
Pathetic Chode

Postby Augomatic » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Best of both worlds, download the digital and store it locally.

boubou
Dickfingers

Postby boubou » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 pm

HD DVD for xbox 360 for sale, comes with the movie 300

: (

I wonder if they will make a blue ray module for the xbox

btw happy new years all, good health to all

Boubou

Phineas
Proud Defender of the 19th Hole

Postby Phineas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:19 pm

Is a PS3 still the best deal out there for a Blu-Ray player? You get the game system, as well, after all.

I wish I hadn't bought the 360 elite now :( At least I didn't blow the money on the HD-DVD player.

Eirene
Ass Jammer

Postby Eirene » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:40 am

Suck it up ^^

Be happy you have the 360. :D

I've been rocking guitar hero and rock band lately. ::waves west side flash ::
The message buck stops here.

Phineas
Proud Defender of the 19th Hole

Postby Phineas » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Friend me on XBL!

Crosscheck42