Ok guys we need to get real about the next guild game

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Naeriad
L33t Boardwarrioring Assface

Re: Ok guys we need to get real about the next guild game

Postby Naeriad » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:29 pm

Diablo got pretty old for me after like a week.

Besides, I really don't like playing games as people I didn't either make myself or can be constued as cool.
I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Aalto Stormcaller
Ub3r Albino Board Troll

Postby Aalto Stormcaller » Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:18 pm

ck this out http://63.209.100.126/ i just happend upon this site...game looks, well, ambitious I guess. Anyone know anything about it?

ULO

Postby ULO » Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:56 pm

Yeah, it's suppose to have no lag yet I have ten hours remaining on the download for the three day trial lol. Since nobody is reading the appropriate threads I'm gonna ask something off topic - How are we suppose to know what server in NWN other guildies are playing? (the chat box is not a valid response as nobody is gonna sit there waiting and constantly asking if ane NE are on)
Sure, beleifs exist that are too rediculous to be true. You might be surprized how many things you laugh at are true.

Aalto Stormcaller
Ub3r Albino Board Troll

Postby Aalto Stormcaller » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:15 pm

Heh, I fully appologize ahead of time if it turns out to be cripe. After peekin around in their boards it looks as if this game may be another Anarchy-Online. Do let me know if the trial is any good tho..

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:17 pm

there is no such thing as "no lag"

Aalto Stormcaller
Ub3r Albino Board Troll

Postby Aalto Stormcaller » Sun Aug 04, 2002 6:29 pm

Oh and to reply regarding NWN, jus got my copy late last week and havent had to much time to get aquainted. Did roll up a human barbarian but havent played online yet. When i do will probably try to stick to the PW Pvp servers as I have read many an interesting thing about them over at www.planetneverwinter.com Anyone else playin anywhere in particular?

ULO

Postby ULO » Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:46 pm

Yeah, it's suppose to have no lag yet I have ten hours remaining on the download for the three day trial lol. Since nobody is reading the appropriate threads I'm gonna ask something off topic - How are we suppose to know what server in NWN other guildies are playing? (the chat box is not a valid response as nobody is gonna sit there waiting and constantly asking if ane NE are on)
Sure, beleifs exist that are too rediculous to be true. You might be surprized how many things you laugh at are true.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:05 pm

OK here is what I will do. I just downloaded my copy tonight. I will spend Monday after work finding a smooth running PvP server and post it here in the evening. If it sux I am sorry but at least we can play together and in a few days switch to another server together.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

ULO

Postby ULO » Mon Aug 05, 2002 5:45 am

I've downloaded and started the game. There's not much I can say as I was playing at an ungodly hour of the night and didn't get far due to the server goin down. If you're looking for an in depth description or a verdict you'll wanna wait for another post. If you do wanna try the game yourself be prepared to download for litterally half a day, due to the speed on their side. You might wanna use a program that lets you continue where u left. Also don't enter activate your account till u have it installed, so as to get the full 3 days. I didn't have to myself but the broadband service in my area is pretty good (dsl from swb/sbc which is also my/THE phone company here.) Auto unzip (double clicking the file) didn't work for me so I did a right click open with winzip.

First me playin the game: There are 4 races, amphiby thingies that remind my of the stereotypical little green men except with an amphibous look (nothing extreme like gills, the skin is more detailed, I didn't look at them long so sorry if I'm describing them innacuratly), Some big race race (Think Golem except with a more colerful and metalish (metallish, not mettalic - at least on my puter which) look. Limbs (all or none) can have the middle portion as poles (or pistons maybe?) instead of solid cluniness), and each sex of humans. Men are stronger and have 5 more hitpoints while women move faster. I beleive the amphibians advance better at the games version of magic, or at last a certain type or so. The big guys make the best mellees. Being better at fighting games than fps, I opted for the big guy.

After making my stylish (yes you heard, a big clunky guy lookin stylish. Actully I don't think I could have made him mean, ugly, n evil if I tried. Thing is he looked so stylish I didn't want too) future master of mellee I was sent to the training grounds. Here I found NPCs, "signs", the bank and the store. I put signs in quotes cause they're not what you think of from rpg signs. For starters they can't and don't need to be selected in any way. They are actual words that you simply need to be close enough to read. Some of them were words floating around, likely only done to keep the store and bank insides from feelin crowded. The tutorials were all effective and easy enough to find. The controls I learned were not what I'm used to but simple once I adjusted. I recomend leavin the preset key commands and getting use to them over moving your movement keys off the keyboard, it should help for jumping and new keycommands that you will want to be able to use while moving around with your keyboard and your mouse (alot easier than that might make it sound).

In the training ground I bought the only two weapons available. No armor was available. They were the basic gun and melee weapon for my race. The gun was easy to use in fp veiw while pointless to use in 3p veiw. You look around with the mouse while the keyboard does strafes, forwards, and backwards. Simple but smooth (at bum %$^& in the morning at least). The sensitivity can be set to any number. It starts at 4. 2 is what I found most comfortable. The wheel can be used to zoom in and out for instant sniper action (no the zoom isn't infinite. You can set your zoom to other keys but if you have a mouse wheel u shouldn't). Guns use ammo. Refills can be bought once you leave training. If you use your ammo up in training buying another gun won't get you more ammo (at least if u still have the 1st one. I didn't try dropping it first). The mellee weapon (a sword in my case, can't tell other races weapons due to the names being made up futuristicy names) can be aimed up or down just as with the gun, yet is best used in 3rd person veiw. Why? Because when you look up or down your characters head moves up or down. I was able to chase the defensless training mobs all over the hilly areas without the 3d terrain making me miss (my being a big (relativly) slow guy is a whole nother story :P). My plasma riffle lookin gun hit the unarmored farmage by 15 per shot while my sword took 20 per blow.

Finnally I left training. There's a guyselling tickets to 4 places but I didn't buy any. Other equipment and items were also available but I didn't buy or browse long. There was also a bank. Upon venturing outside of the complex I found the area had the familiar farmage, and it still doesn't seem to wanna fight back. While it would likely take too long to get rich it lets me know I don't have to worry about being to broke to buy a ticket.

I also found some water. You can go down or up in it depending on which way you are facing. it appears you can only swim so far out, might just be the area or that the graphic plainness (p3 733 with tnt2 and 128megs ram) is fooling me. In the water I found what looked like a big goldfish. I shot it twice for 7 before it stamped "!\!00B" on my forhead and twisted my head around my neck till I could read it. Or in other words I died hella fast. If you thought I was being litteral you need to be !\!00B stamped yourself :P

So anyway I've just gotten my arse kicked. What's in the bank is in the bank, just like in UO. So what about my stuff? My loot and small heal potions (limited to 10 seconds between uses) that I had on me was all gone. So was my armor. Oh yeah, I never bought any :P fooled ya didn't I? (sry trying to keep awake while writing this n the bad humor really helps) But guess what, my weapons remained!! Hopefully tommorrow night I'll find out if the same holds for armor. As for a corpse or left behind loot, I never got to check on that before the server went down.

The graphics/sound:
Lemme start with my system specs: P3 733MHZ Nvida TNT2 card, 128MB ram, 16 gigs of free memory.

The graphics didn't look all that refined, but they didn't look like jagged crap either. They had a retro/cheesy appearance yet at the same time had class and proffessionalism to them. The stlyism used more than overruled the cheesy/retro look in my mind. It actually made me appreciate it. Well, the water graphics I saw sucked, but then again who cares about water? From playin NWN I see it as a possability that their water is done with some fancy seperatly adjustable effect that will run slow on an Nvida TNT2. I'm not up to date on water graphic methods. Anyway, back to the rest of the environment. The 3 mobs I saw were small, and obviously low poly count, but still didn't look blocky. The same goes for my big hip arse kicker char (ok, so a goldfish kicked my butt, it happens. Just ask Jackie Chan or Schwartzenager.). Sure if you're the critical type the low poly count glares at you, but if you look at the overall picture it's not bad. Efficient use of my suck @$$ graphics processor. The ground is smooth and has curves where u would expect jagged edges. If you look you can see the repeated simple circle/sphere. However it still gives a much more hilly effect than I saw on say daoc, and circles beat jaggy endges any day. Esp on and nvida tnt2. The texture is a mixture of brown and green. Not too realistic but not so bad as to make you say "this is not a hill, this is not grass and dirt". I'm sure without the shapelyness it would look like arse tho. The buildings, sings, and nocs I saw were colorful. Furtonately it somehow still dosn't look ghey. In fact I give it my most color in a not that ghey looking environment award. I'm sure hardcore adult themists will disagree but oh well. I mean after all I didn't see any flowers (or anything sticking out of the ground, bit again that's probably the nvida tnt2.). Oh wait, there's also no bloodor anything like that :/ Plus I got i owned by a goldfish :/ Well, it was a dark grey evil lookin goldfish. Bah, who cares what any graphics whore noobs think. The graphics work, at least for as far as I've gotten. I can even pull off a one mouse swipe 360 without slowdown, at least at bumf$%^& am.

That said the final test will be when I get somewhere in the game and play with more people on (if possible with my hours). I did have a few lag pauses in the game but nothin intollerable. Then again nobody was on. But for all I know it was me, they were short enough. Like I said I can't know till I play with people on.

If there are any questions that you think I can answer based on what I've done I will answer them when I get home (midnight at the latest). Same goes for any dificulties u may have had if u tried to get the game running. Once I get home and have read the questions I will play the game some more. If I don't answer a question by 1am central I'm either still typing answers or am playing the game and done with q&a. Oh yeah, sorry for the double post earlier.

One last thing please please give any constructive critisisms or anything you would or wouldn't like to hear about. It will hopefully improve my typing, keep me from havin to type for so long, and best of all, make it easier for you to read.

Damn this sucker is long.

Return to “Public Discussion”