RvR: Your Guild and You. How do you measure up?

The place for discussions, thoughts, ideas, or even mindless chatter. Everyone is welcome.
Rhiandra Rangnar
Donkey Fucker

RvR: Your Guild and You. How do you measure up?

Postby Rhiandra Rangnar » Mon May 19, 2003 5:17 pm

Ok, so you're in the best guild on the server, simply flying our colors demands the respect of those around you, but what have you given back to the guild lately?

Before I go any further with this post, let me start by saying that these are my thoughts and my opinions and do not reflect anything else but that.

Outside of BWC I dont think there is a single guild on Merlin that I would join, period. We are conformed of some of the best gamers I have had the pleasure of meeting in any gaming forum.

I have over 20 years gaming experience in various forums, but one thing that seems to hold truth in all forums is that with a guild comes unity, with a guild comes a sense of family if you will and from a guild you should always feel welcomed and yes, needed.

I ran a guild for over 4 years that housed well over 80 members consistantly and one thing you could always count on was the support and backing of the other members. As it should be.

When a guild moves in numbers it shows alot about that guild, when the members of a guild find comfort on a consistant basis in the folds of another citidel that also tells alot about said guild.

One thing that really turned me on to this guild was that everytime I saw one member, I saw alot of members. To me that said unity, strength and trust shared among the members. Trust in the skills of your fellow guildmates coupled with the confidence of knowing that if you were in a guild group you were in the very best group you would ever be able to find. It shows honor and pride in the colors you fly and the tag you wear above your head that shouts out "This is where I am from".

It shouldnt take Gundorf/Costco/Valynor logging in and passing out orders to group up, this should be our norm all the time.

As of late we have lost some key people to other gaming forums, and as much as we miss them on the battlefield this shouldnt weaken us morally or productively as a guild. In fact, it should bring the rest of us closer together.

Sadly, this does not seem to be the case lately and for that I am saddened. I have watched as other officers tried their very best to form solid guild groups to no avail, I have experienced this myself when I to have tried to pull us together as a guild.

You see, it wouldnt matter to me if I was the only healer in the group I was in, if my family called out for a healer, I would be there. I do that all the time. I cant even tell you how many times I have left various groups where I was racking in massive RP's to group with my family, as it should be.

Why should the guild Im in seek healing outside of the guild when I am a Bloodwinter Clan healer? They shouldnt. Same should go for all classes.

It really troubles me to see our SB's practically beg for guild groups to no avail when we have enough members scattered in non-guild groups to form a solid group which would include said SB(s). And it doesnt stop with this class, this is just a prime example.

I have read time and again guild groups seeking skalds to no avail when we have some logged in providing speed/peelers for other guilds groups.

Am I missing something because I really don't get it ....

You know I would hate to think that the only way this guild comes together is with a hint of dictatorship, but experience has proven to me that this is what works.

In EQ I was in the uber guild on our server, our GM was famous for saying things such as "This isnt a democracy!" "If you don't like it feel free to /guildremove." And if the guild was doing something (which was just about always) and you did not contribute to the guilds success on X raid, you could bet your ass that you would be booted. There were assigned nights that were listed as "free time" any other time if you were on you were expected to be contributing to the guilds success, period.

To some of you those terms may seem a tad harsh, but I'll tell you what, they worked and they worked well. There was no question as to where you stood or if you would be grouped. And as a guild, we were untouchable.

Ok, so this isnt EQ, I know this, but the concept is the same. Victory is so much sweeter when achieved and shared by your fellow guild members.

Personally, it is my feeling that if you don't feel you should contribute to the victories and share in the defeats of the guild you are in than perhaps being in a guild is not for you.

So, the next time you are logged in and looking to RvR, start a guild group or join one that's already formed. And if you are already grouped when your guildmates are seeking group members it takes all of two seconds to type in /g "Guys thanks for group but my guild needs me now." Trust me when I tell you that they will not only understand but respect you for your loyalty.

My two coppers.
Last edited by Rhiandra Rangnar on Tue May 20, 2003 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhiandra Rangnar
EQ ----> DAoC ----> WoW ----> boredom
[fade]Over 1 million mezzed and counting .........[/fade]

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!

Zeris
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Zeris » Mon May 19, 2003 6:11 pm

Across all games, I agree, period.
I'm talking pickup members in planetside squads need to take second place to outfit members that are squadless.
This was a rare (but annoying) problem in beta that I hope not to see in retail.
markov|[shadow=red][glow=red]Terran Republic[/glow][/shadow]|zeris

Psychotix
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Psychotix » Mon May 19, 2003 6:22 pm

Nice post Rhia !! :)

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Mon May 19, 2003 9:45 pm

/golf clap fo sheezy. bravo >.<
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Lissaminda
Keyboard Molesting Forum G33k

Postby Lissaminda » Tue May 20, 2003 4:19 am

my head hurs if i read so much text :huh:
-Zaleena lvl 16 de fighter

Lineage2

Keabit Guinness
Donkey Fucker

Postby Keabit Guinness » Tue May 20, 2003 6:38 am

Great post Rhiandra!!!!! I agree 100%!
Maybus-Ranger-Aion

Journeyman Electrician

I have never been an enthusiast of the more obscure holidays like “Groundhog Day.” This type of holiday made more sense long ago when Doppler radar was not available and faith in groundhogs was stronger.

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Tue May 20, 2003 10:36 am

nice post, but i must state one thing.. it is just a game.. and we are here to have fun.. which it is mainly all about, it's not about whoring rp, it's just simple fun is what drives us all back to the game..

some ppl don't stand out much.. in RL, and even in games.. some are not leaders.. some are not followers.. some can't tell Berk from Surs ( lol, was a total mistake i swear! ). but they all stay in it for the fun of the game.

i relized this last night as i was finally tyring to level up my SM again so i don't draw aggro when we are in RvR, i found myself yelling at one of the group members for drawing aggro and not keeping up with the group.. it costed djur his life trying to over heal him.. thats when i relized that i was in the wrong state of mind, and begin taking the game to seriously, mistakes happen, things can't be avoid.. it's all about fun, and thats where it should remain.

it's the lil things that make a guild great.. the first night i joined BWC, we held beno, and set up 15 trebs and killed around 140 albs using brail as the lazer targeting system.. i wasn't grouped.. lots of RP was tossed in the air.. but it was one of the best days in my daoc lifetime.. simply becuase it was totally utterly fun.

Same goes when we had our little SB gank lord raid.. not much of a RP gain.. but the fun factor was there.. which is what kepted us going.. which is what going to keep this game and guild going?
DAOC-SOLD
Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)
WOW-SOLD
Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)
WAR- CLOSED BETA!

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Wed May 21, 2003 10:20 am

I agree that people play this game for fun, but... ;)

2 points Rhia brought up and I agree 100% about. i just posted on the alliance board about one, and that is leadership. ANYONE CAN LEAD. You don't have to have some rank level, some level char, some RR, nothing. All that is needed is ONE person to be a voice, to guide people from a to b. Heck it can even be a community decision, then 1 person giving the orders in all caps to get moving.

But on to her main point. Mosthula canceled his account. He started over here with a lot of the old andred people, and was told we as a guild needed SBs. So he and his gf serephia/nikolaos made one (cthulhu is mosthula). He hits 50, goes out...and never gets a guild group. I can come along with my 46th level runie and get a group, because I have 10s pbt. He has even been booted from a guild group, told to go solo, so they could take a more group friendly member. Thats just not right.

Be glad I don't have the ability to boot members, because this would stop. It is about having fun, but why can't you have fun with the guild group? Do RPs matter more? Does having the "perfect group" matter more? It shouldn't IMO. So yeah I lead guilds, and thats how I feel. Of course the core of any of my guilds come from RL friends. We all have just as much say, but I tend to be the one who makes the decisions no one else wants to. I'm a nice guy, but I will be the asshole when shit needs to be done.

Dunno, I haven't been on much lately, so I don't know what the exact problems have been. It is rough to get into a group then say "sorry gotta go join the guild group". Especialy when it is one of those "trickling in" kinda things, where you log in and there isn't room in the guild group, so you join a pickup group, and now there is room in the guild group. But too many times guild members have been dropped without another group lined up for them to get a "needed" class from another guild. It is one thing to trade members to make all groups balanced, thats cool, regardless of guilds.

Anyways, just my thoughts.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Wed May 21, 2003 7:16 pm

"But on to her main point. Mosthula canceled his account. He started over here with a lot of the old andred people, and was told we as a guild needed SBs. So he and his gf serephia/nikolaos made one (cthulhu is mosthula). He hits 50, goes out...and never gets a guild group. I can come along with my 46th level runie and get a group, because I have 10s pbt. He has even been booted from a guild group, told to go solo, so they could take a more group friendly member. Thats just not right. "

damn right. love joor stealthers!
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

SuperHelix
A Salty Surprise

Postby SuperHelix » Sat May 24, 2003 3:53 pm

yay I had 3 SB's in my group todaY!
Gundorf the uber

Return to “Public Discussion”