Sendmail on Redhat 9.0

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Sendmail on Redhat 9.0

Postby Rhuac » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:38 pm

Anyone able to help me out with getting sendmail version 8.12.8 to work on Redhat 9.0?

It's up and running but I'm at a loss as to where to change the domain names, user name aliases, and such.
Rhuac
Talks Like A Gentleman

Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Postby Rhuac » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:26 pm

Bump.
Rhuac

Talks Like A Gentleman

Candide
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby Candide » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:37 am

Are you setting it up to run as an actual smtp server, or is it just a personal system and you want mail to get off the system?

It's been a while since I've used redhat as a mail server. Aliases used to be in /etc/aliases, you would use the newaliases command after editing the file to update sendmail.

I can't recall where the rpm stores its config files on redhat. A standard install of sendmail will usually create /etc/mail. In there you will find sendmail.cf. If it isn't there, just do a find / -name sendmail.cf, perhaps it is in /var somewhere. I can't remember.

sendmail.cf is where most of your basic changes are made, in the top few lines. If you are just using it to get mail off your system, you probaly want to just mess with the relaying. Should be a line that looks like this:
DSmailhost.$m

If it is a server, then you will need to edit the localhosts files, relaydomains, etc.

Really isn't a lot to setup.
Venderic, Candide or Mercutio in games.

Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Postby Rhuac » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:20 am

Yeah I've found all that stuff, but I'm just not sure what to change. I've set up some aliases and I changed the sendmail.cf file so that it wasn't just listening to the loopback ip 127.0.0.1 and I can telnet in and log on and use the mail command but i have to use names such as william@localhost. I can't use my actual url... so that has something to do with relaying?

I want to set it up as a email server that me and a couple people can access with POP3 to get business related email.

I'm using a free dns service from http://freedns.afraid.org and while I know my server isn't set up exactly right, this might also not be set up right. I set up the sub domain mail.my-url.com with an MX record of soemthing like 10:my-url.com. Perhaps that is wrong?
Rhuac

Talks Like A Gentleman

Candide

Postby Candide » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:59 pm

Bear with me here, trying to go off of several year old memories as the version I run isn't as robust.

under the section local info, but above options, is where everything you would want to configure is 99% of the time. There was/is a file that lets you dictate what domains you will accept email as. It should automatically do (I thought) the domain that the system itself is setup on. I think the file is local_host_names or something like that. You will see the file referenced in that config section of sendmail.cf.

If you are still having troubles tomorrow, I'll see if anyone at the office has a redhat system running and take a better look. I'm headed home now :)

Feel free to email me at jason.largen@crowley.com, but I'm pretty busy this week.

Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Postby Rhuac » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:26 pm

Yeah I edited that local-host-names file to accept my url, but no worky. I'm headed home myself to try and see what I can screw up. I'll post how it goes tonight (if I even get a chance to mess with it).

I was talking with the guy that services the computers where I work and I asked if he knew linux and he said everything but linux and that he had a guy working for him that was 'the linux guru' and so I mentioned maybe I could get the guy's email from him. Heh he wouldn't even give it to me, and said the guy wouldn't talk to me... unless I was paying him and he charges $125 an hour... More tech guys need to be like Barbos... free advice for all!
Rhuac

Talks Like A Gentleman

Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Postby Rhuac » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:45 pm

Well I have it working kinda... I can send mail while I'm logged on to my server locally or thru secure shell. Gonna fiddle with POP3 settings and then maybe I can log on via outlook.
Rhuac

Talks Like A Gentleman

Candide

Postby Candide » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:29 am

Glad to hear. I ran a couple of ISP's years ago, running on various versions of redhat. To be able to send mail from outlook you will need to add some ip's into another file, relay allow or something along those lines.

pop3 != sendmail. It is an entirely different package. Redhat 7 used to be very confusing in this aspect, and installing a "mail server" from the install scripts wouldn't install the pop3. You would have to rpm add it after the fact. Dunno if that was fixed/made easier.

The sendmail stuff you run into are some security additions they included, which while making it difficult to setup initially, it is a huge plus. It starts off closed to everyone and you have to open it from there, which is the way it should be.

Rhuac
Ass Jammer

Postby Rhuac » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 pm

Aye, I have it up and running... but there's this weird querk...

The emailing side is working fine, but when I try to connect with outlook via pop3 the firewall blocks me... I know this because I turned the firewall off completely, and I connected fine. So I went in, and tried opening up the pop3 ports and such... still no luck... but what's really weird is I set up imap just like i did pop3 and i was able to connect with outlook... I mean both pop3 and imap are running (went into /etc/sysconfig/pop3 and imap and turned disable to "no", my iptables are exactly the same for both ports... so what gives?
Rhuac

Talks Like A Gentleman

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”