DVD burning info requested

Where any Tech issues can be taken up and planned by our highly trained and unbelievably skilled computer geeks.
Mourningblade
Crotch Pheasant

DVD burning info requested

Postby Mourningblade » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:16 pm

Alright, so I went and bought a DVD burner and the software that came with it is complete and utter crap.

Can anyone recommend any DVD burning/video editing software??

Keep in mind I'm working with the equivalent of a 3rd grade education and my dog is my in-house tech support. :biggrin:

"I want to leave this world the same way I entered it....screaming and covered in someone else's blood."

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:06 pm

Well I would def recommend Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6

www.roxio.com

If your looking to make "back up" copies of Motion picture dvd's Grab a Decss ripper, and pick up Pinnnacle Systems DVD Instant Copy they have some great compression codec's to fit a 8gb dvd into a 4.3gb disk, also allow's you to take out gay previews, and DVD copy protection warnings and stupid special features. It's so nice to watch a movie without having to watch all that bullshit :D If your really into making backup copies go to www.netflix.com

www.pinnaclesys.com

and of course the best video editing software u can get is Adobe Premire.

www.adobe.com

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:01 pm

i've had a dvd burner since march now.

the software i use:

DVD Decrypter
DVD2One
Nero
xISO 1.1

:)
pink's dad and mom are conjoined at the waist.

friend to all bwc/scourn. like it or not.

Mourningblade
Crotch Pheasant

Postby Mourningblade » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:49 am

Sweet,

Thanks for the info

:biggrin:

Mourningblade--, DAOC Merlin Server

Oregonian-Priest, Mourningblad-Hunter, Deadduck-Warlock, WoW Bleeding Hollow

"I want to leave this world the same way I entered it....screaming and covered in someone else's blood."

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:02 pm

btw, all that software i listed is freely downloadable (read: freeware), except nero.

Aenslaed Kasugano
Oversized Douche Bag

Postby Aenslaed Kasugano » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:07 pm

could also use doom9.net for some tools :)
Aenslaed Warrior, Aenslands Healer, Sakkura Shaman, Satsujiin Shadowblade, Arashii Huntress
Participate Bot, Dopplereffect Bot
-To face Life is to face Death, to face Death is to face Pain.
To face Pain is to face Life, and all those in between.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:25 pm

I've used Sonic MyDVD, which is ok, if you want your dvd to fit in 6 chapters or less, with 4 cheesy menu options.

I have the Adobe Video Collection as well, but I can't quite say anything too positive about it yet (I haven't used it but for one dvd, which took a week to get working)... There's lots you can do with it, but making a simple dvd from an analog recording was an overcomplicated process. Not to mention the 6 hour transcoding time. (every time the program crashed had to re-transcode it).

I suppose it depends on what you want to rip, and how much time/money you want to invest. :P

I suppose if you had a million computers like Ting, waiting 6 hours would be no big deal. ;)

Tingtong
Ass Jammer

Postby Tingtong » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:39 pm

4 250GB 8mb cache. Raided drives eat a movie in 2hrs :P

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:58 pm

I have 2 WD Raptor (10k SATA drives, 5ms avg seek time) in a RAID 0.

Harddrives didn't seem to be maxed out at all. I think some of it was just the software. Running it on a 2.8ghz p4, 800mhz fsb, with 1gb memory (2x512) in dual channel setup (875 chipset).

Mourningblade
Crotch Pheasant

Postby Mourningblade » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:59 am

LOL, My SonicDVD is the POS software I was refering too.

I had to start transcoding before I went to bed and the dam thing would freeze up 9 times out of 10.

I'm getting a copy of Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6 from the companies off site tech guy. He's got quite a collection of "off site back-up" copies of software. No Adobe premier though.

Thanks for the heads up on the freeware Killets.

Mourningblade--, DAOC Merlin Server

Oregonian-Priest, Mourningblad-Hunter, Deadduck-Warlock, WoW Bleeding Hollow

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:58 pm

I had no problems with Sonic MyDVD. I burnt about 6 different discs off of it, and every one of them worked. My only complaint was the lack of flexibility you had.

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:31 pm

yea, aenslaed brings up a good site, www.doom9.org (doom9.net points to the same place?)

its so popular, they translated it into like 18035081 languages. its one of the best "how-to" guides on how to convert movies between different formats, and how to do it well.

another great site is www.dvdrhelp.com. that's one of the best sites imo. they also have a lot of hardware surveys if you plan to buy new stuff. the dvd-r/+r media survey is great, but i just buy ritek 4x dvd-r's now, which are pretty much the best in reliability and compatibility. (but if your dvd-r and dvd player work great with cheap-ass princo or something, do that).

another great feature on dvdrhelp.com is the dvd player compatibility. it tells you what players can play what media. these days, most of the new dvd players support 90% of the formats, but back in the day, it was really useful.

if you're making videos, don't forget virtualdub, the best freeware movie editting software out there. not sure if it ships with mpeg2 though.

Zoidmeister
Donkey Fucker

Postby Zoidmeister » Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:52 pm

Glad I noticed this topic... warning newbface question ahead...

Bought a Pioneer DVD copier the other day from Future Shop. Came with Nero and I bought a stack of 4.7 GB +r DVD ...

Fire up Nero, pop movie DVD in and copy from DVD to Image Recorder ... about 6 minutes later it's copied to disc/temp file I assume? Then pop in 4.7 GB blank +r DVD and it whines that there isn't enough space on the disc.

Checking out dvdhelp site now but any posts appreciated to help this newbface out.

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:24 pm

Most DVD movies are dual layered, which means they can store theoretically twice as much as a single layer dvd per side... Currently the only consumer burners at the moment are single layered.

Zoidmeister
Donkey Fucker

Postby Zoidmeister » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:18 am

Thx Barbos, seems there is one purchaseable one at least that seems to be designed for "movie backup" heh

http://www.dvdxcopy.com

Return to “Tech. Monkey Board”