Anyone playing DAOC now?

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:12 pm

barbos wrote:Dunno, war is pretty casual friendly.

Doh, true Barbos...great point!

zeratulx wrote:LOL @ your avatar Twyst. My wife and I were channel surfing one night and came across the show right at that part, we're now fans of the show lol!

I just watched the first two episodes and this shit really is some of the best TV out there. I haven't seen this episode but after watching the first two episodes you know the guy really did have to merc that bitch. I'm sure she was being a grade A cunt.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

I don't know the question, but sex is definitely the answer. -Woody Allen

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:51 pm

ya, some how barbos is out leveling me :nervous:
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)
Formally known as Nipples

Elfdroper Gravelender
Stoned Out Hippy

Postby Elfdroper Gravelender » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

You guys playing w/ Monty right? I do have a RR 46 WP, WL, and Engineer...
:toothy10:
Gravelender AKA Elfdropper

Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
-Bruce Lee

Jahman the blueberry Shaman - Dragonblight
Elfdroper - Merlin
Torch - Heretic Lamorak

Nilbert500
Ass Jammer

Postby Nilbert500 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:36 pm

join us, my name is Nilberto. Monty's name is Racker. We're playing on Badlands Order under the guild Destructive Influence. The evil dead guild got stolen while we were in Aion.
Rift: Seastone = Defiant (Nilbert)

Formally known as Nipples

barbos
Cock Clown

Postby barbos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Borrowed an account to play with Monty on order. Playing as Javguit L40RR61 :D

Hall
The Bionic Puerto Rican

Postby Hall » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:45 pm

I still play wow lols, I guess its the people ive been with for the last 3 years. Id probably would have quit if not for them. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't having a blast. Ive been in PvE mode thou since 3.3 Its so easy to get stuff done its crazy.
[glow=blue]
A WoW Nerd, A DaOC Reject
and a sociopath[/glow]

[glow=blue]"Fucking Doughnut!!!!!, Mock Me??,You Fried Cyclops"[/glow]

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:13 pm

Hall wrote:I still play wow lols, I guess its the people ive been with for the last 3 years. Id probably would have quit if not for them. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't having a blast. Ive been in PvE mode thou since 3.3 Its so easy to get stuff done its crazy.

Wow becomes too repetitive too quickly for my tastes. Every time I reactivate I have fun until I finish everything available in the game (although we didn't do full hardmodes in 25 uld prior to my quitting for Aion) then I get bored running it all over and over. The BGs are boring, Wintergrasp was a shitty excuse for "world pvp," and arenas don't hold my attention.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I spoke to Ting and he's done with Aion. He even played with Combine just to have a guild to do things with and the end game still failed. I don't think there are any of his crew still playing. I don't know many left that are still playing Aion. It really seems to be dying off.
Although detractors decry (MMA) as a brutal, bloody form of human cockfighting, aficionados know it is a brutal, bloody, totally fucking awesome form of human cockfighting. -The Onion

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:31 am

Twystyd wrote:I spoke to Ting and he's done with Aion. He even played with Combine just to have a guild to do things with and the end game still failed. I don't think there are any of his crew still playing. I don't know many left that are still playing Aion. It really seems to be dying off.

Yeah, I've heard abyss pvp is all zerg and only keep sieges. I have no clue how all the modern pvp games that come out keep avoiding looking at the success of games like DAoC. I mean yeah, they don't have a lot of players left now because Mythic is a pretty fail company, but the idea behind the game is solid. I think the next big pvp mmo that focuses on a tri-realm system as a means by which to control the overpowered/populated side while still maintaining the ability for all three sides to directly conflict with each other is going to be the only new pvp game I try.

I've been excited for every pvp game that's come out since DAoC, but all of them do something with their game that I don't particularly care for; they either make the game guild vs guild - or they keep it a two faction war. Not sure why developers can't see the intelligence behind a three faction war, but once one does, it might be worth playing.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:41 pm

LOL, my favorite part about Aion PvP is how the best way to get Abyss points which buys your pvp gear is to farm the NPC's. That's just awesome.

TrollFunk
Tripped Off the Short Bus

Postby TrollFunk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:39 am

Aion is just....fail. Kinda said cause it had some promise in it but meh, can't be bothered with this numbless grind.

thought about going back to DAoC but meh. Tired of mmo's it would seem. Hopefully i can get some hours out of Dragon Age: Origins.
"The temperature inside this apple pie is over 1000 degrees. If I squeeze it, a jet of molten bramley apple will squirt out. Could go your way; could go mine. Either way, one of us is going down! - Alan Partridge"

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:45 am

See, I was finding tons of pvp in Aion around the teleportation hubs between the Asmo lower leveling areas and the eastern platform that teleports. There was a ton of people, most of them were way higher than us though as we were only like 30-33 and they were 40+s going to the upper abyss. The dealbreaker for me was the grind. By the time I got to endgame half the people who powered their way there were likely to already be in top end shit because at the rate I was leveling it was going to take another 2 months to hit 50. Obviously it wasn't worth worrying about though if the only pvp that occurs happens during keep sieges or via zergs.

Like I said earlier, it's a shame no one has jumped on the tri-realm system for a pvp game yet. Even Mythic seems to be too stupid to capitalize on what they have and simply create a new game or re-release DAoC with an updated UI and a more fluid movement system. Of course, they would have to learn what good pve is too because the days of people trudging through wretched/buggy pve grinds to get to the endgame are pretty much over as Aion and AoC have shown. That is one thing that we really have to thank Blizzard for; if it wasn't for how WoW changed the face of the pve we would still be stuck with the mind-numbing grind that used to permeate throughout all the older titles.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm surprised no one has tried the tri-realm system either Sirion. It does have some huge advantages in auto balancing and it can't be that tough to come up with the content for some descent writers. Sense were on the subject what about Shadowbane? The problem I see is that Shadowbane was a well thought out system that failed on the programming level more than anything else. Guild created cities and non static global development (cities/politics) were such awesome concepts. Aside from the midnight city sieges and stale leveling, the concept was phenomenal. It was only the crashes and severe exploit abuse that killed that game in most peoples eyes. In short if the exploits/crashes never happened the game would have had a long and healthy lifespan.

BTW is that Trollfunk I see up there? I figured he was too cool for us these days :P Merry Xmas Troll!

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 pm

Twystyd wrote:Sense were on the subject what about Shadowbane? The problem I see is that Shadowbane was a well thought out system that failed on the programming level more than anything else. Guild created cities and non static global development (cities/politics) were such awesome concepts. Aside from the midnight city sieges and stale leveling, the concept was phenomenal. It was only the crashes and severe exploit abuse that killed that game in most peoples eyes. In short if the exploits/crashes never happened the game would have had a long and healthy lifespan.

Edit: That turned out a lot longer than anticipated... skip to the end for the down and dirty.

See, that sounds a lot more interesting to me now than it would have 8 years or so ago. But even with all the potential a system like that has, the inherent problem with player controlled environments and player policed/developed worlds is the potential for exploitation. In competitive gaming any way a person can get a leg up on the competition will always be utilized to the fullest extent it can be, whether legal or not. Radar in DAoC, speed hacks like GEAR, duping in Diablo, maphacks, wallhacks, and geometry exploitation are just a couple of off hand examples of things people will do to ensure they beat someone else and I'm sure all of us have used or been a party to people who have used any or all of the above while gaming.

Small instances of this don't have a hugely adverse affect on gameplay, particularly when the game has set boundaries for player vs player interaction (e.g. frontiers for DAoC, BGs and flagging for WoW, Abyss and riftable zones in Aion). When the entire gaming world hinges entirely upon player interactions then something that's typically only found in a small group of the upper echelon of players, the same that want their names to go down in the hall of legendary douches that can't remember winning every time does not always equate to fun, becomes general practice and it destroys any semblance of balance the game world needs to continue to thrive. This leads to cancellation of the players that don't want to cheat or don't have enough free time to keep up with the exploiters, and in player driven games people leaving creates an inherent domino effect wherein their associates, who are now even further behind the curve due to lack of support, also decide to leave. We all know that while the lower tier of players quit due to frustration the upper tier stagnates and most of the "uber" guilds quit before someone can dethrone them causing the ladder to degrade at both ends of the spectrum simultaneously.

If there was a game where the players decided politics/faction choice based on player interactions with other players and the npc factions enviornment (e.g. good/evil lawful/chaotic etc.) which are controlled by devs and which are the primary moving force in shaping the world events that didn't involve ingame politics/factions then it could be interesting. In a game like that you choose what you want to be vs. picking a faction then a race then a class, this makes far more sense than games like DAoC and WoW where I may want to be a human, but I'd also like to be a highwayman or a mercenary. Here, depending on player participation certain realms may become subjected to other realms, like if Hibernia was conquered by Albion or the Alliance by the Horde and while that changes the dynamic of the world that the players exist within, it doesn't change the dynamic of the player itself unless people become fugitives for siding with the losing realm or whatever.

Once again though, the problem with this sort of game still follows the others, wherein the characters begin to stagnate because nothing new happens. Likewise the player vs player aspect of the game itself would be far different seeing as guild vs guild would clash with the idea of a greater ordered world unless you could only fight against people of different ideals or good/evil alignment.

In the end sometimes I think simpler is better when it comes to entertainment from a game. Once things become too complex with factions, politics, policy and enforcement through the players themselves, people become too invested in the game. At this point, when they do finally lose (something like a guild city or whatever) it's such a significant blow that the drive to rebuild from the loss doesn't outweigh the effort that it takes to start over. Particularly when, at any given point in time, something could happen completely devaluing all the effort yet again. I mean, look at AoC, who wants to put hundreds of hours into the creation of a city only to have it completely destroyed in a matter of 45 minutes some random Thursday night? Not any adults who have other things that their time can be justifiably used for.

I like competition in my games, but I'd almost rather it be against an illusionary player controlled opponent that can't truly undermine my hard work in any meaningful or tangible way. Kill me and I'll try to get better; destroy hundreds of hours of in-game 'work' and I'll simply quit rather than put in the time again. Everyone would eventually be offered that choice, and the simple results are: 1) you quit because you lack time/drive, 2) you decide to just build shitty and most of he rest of the people in the game do the same, because it's not a big deal to lose something you can put back together in an hour as long as you had fun fighting for it, or 3) you have ample time on you hands due to striking it rich in the lotto when you turned 18 and don't have enough cares in the world to do anything other than grind away hundreds of potentially meaningless hours in a video game over and over.

All that shit said, I think that if Shadowbane worked perfectly as intended, creation didn't take forever and a day, and the human element didn't totally fuck up the concept and corrupt the original intent (e.g. you have a reasonable schedule for things like city-raids, people didn't exploit as often as possible, and somehow cheats weren't applicable/used) then a game like that would easily be one of if not the most interesting type of game available today in my opinion.
DAoC > WoW

Call me sir.

Twystyd
A Salty Surprise

Postby Twystyd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 am

Sirion wrote:See, that sounds a lot more interesting to me now than it would have 8 years or so ago. But even with all the potential a system like that has, the inherent problem with player controlled environments and player policed/developed worlds is the potential for exploitation. In competitive gaming any way a person can get a leg up on the competition will always be utilized to the fullest extent it can be, whether legal or not. Radar in DAoC, speed hacks like GEAR, duping in Diablo, maphacks, wallhacks, and geometry exploitation are just a couple of off hand examples of things people will do to ensure they beat someone else and I'm sure all of us have used or been a party to people who have used any or all of the above while gaming.

I just got home and am going to tackle the meat and potatoes tomorrow but great post. A few of these minor issues can be fixed with good programming. Z-axis exploits with log out should be one of the first things checked in any game. There is really no excuse for the piss poor programming some of these games have had...it's lazy business. I view the third party programs vs. developer race much like the steroids detection vs. concealment issue in professional sports. People will always try to get away with it; some will fail and some will succeed.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”