My WOW rant - is this game really that good?

The forum for gaming discussion and related topics
Joshll
Donkey Fucker

My WOW rant - is this game really that good?

Postby Joshll » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:40 am

OK, correct me where I am wrong.

WoW sucks because it is an ITEM/Equipment based game where your gear matters almost as much (and sometimes more) than skill. Equipment is everything. WoW is what DAOC became after Trials of Atlantis. People bitched in DAOC because after TOA, "to be competive" one had to not only get to 50, but then you had to collect your artifacts and level them, and grind through master levels. Then, once you had your I-WIN abilities and I-WIN items, you could venture out and be uber. That was the start of the end of DAOC, and New Frontiers ended it.

So WoW is like that right out of the box. And at 48, I have 1.5 months of grinding in a hostile environment to get to 60, and then I get the pleasure of running the same dungeon raids over and over and over and over and over and over until I get the uber-collection-of-iwin, and then I'm PVP ready.

Am I wrong?

And in PVP, it seems to be either zerg vs zerg, or ganking lowbies, and the very few and far between evenly matched fight between evenly matched levels. Maybe I'm wrong, we ran some good groups in DAOC, and on BH I haven't got to 60 yet (and done my required 100+ instance runs) to run in good groups like my good friends in Resonance. OK, but once I do get there, and we've got a good group, what then? Are there any truly great fights? But you guys that are there, that have run in a good group correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember in DAOC that a good group that knew what it was doing could do some truly amazing things. Can the same be said in WoW? Some of the limitations are lack of CC (good or bad thing), and small group size. The death penalty being so small also limits what you can do since people are back in combat so fast. Again, thats a good and bad thing.

OK, battlegrounds. Maybe. Even the fanbois can't promise it will be good. In my mind, the current PVP shows that Blizzard just hasn't got it yet. So if they have a super quest system played in PVP, it could be damn good, or it could be cool quests in a poor pvp implementation.

The exception I'll make, is that I've read Killets posting that on his server how they run 5v5 events against the alliance in the Arena in STV. That sounds much better to me than anything else I've seen yet. Skill, Teamwork would all of a sudden matter. But thats a single dimensional version of good PVP where DAOC was multidimensional.

So I know everyone wants to love this game, but so far to me, it seems like a step down.

Opinions?
retired

Supreem
Ass Jammer

Postby Supreem » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:10 pm

/agree i didnt get to 60 either but thats becuase the game bored the shit out of me 90% of the time. Its terrible to admit to hating a game but yet continuing to play because thats where all your online friends are. But its the truth. Now that we have a viable alternative (Guild Wars) im fucking gone from WoW
Wiredmessiah - Eve Online

:blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8::blob8:

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Postby Winke » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:13 pm

Your right about the equipment>>Skill, your also right about the dungeon grind for equipment. However, thats all about to change with great rewards from the PVP system. So far PVP is mostly zerg PVP, I do think that BG's wil change that.

Dont forget DAOC evolved into a great PVP (pre frontiers) over several years, when DAOC started people had as many if not more doubts than your listing here.

Winke

Mourningblade
Crotch Pheasant

Postby Mourningblade » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:17 pm

Then, once you had your I-WIN abilities and I-WIN items, you could venture out and be uber.

Hehe,

Man I miss our boat zephyring get togethers:P

My take on the whole pvp thing is, there are a few 5 man groups running around, but my experience in all of 1 week of pvp honor system is 5-10 horde/BWC running around Gadget/Evermeet/Bulwark/Hillsbrad. Being a hunter, I actually do better sniping from the edges of larger fights, but we also took down quite a few evenly matched (numbers wise) groups in past. Unfortunately, once you beat down an even numbered alliance group (wHorrigan last night) they call in 100 more to be really cool.

As for the equipment, if your running in a group you could have all AH/quest bought stuff and be able to hold your own. As for running all those instances a million times, the majority of your quests 55+ are going to be in places like LBRS, UBRS, BRD, Strat, and Scholo.

And honestly, Druids in outdoor combat are one of the hardest (for me) to take down anymore with their chain root-moonfire shite.

Agreed it is gonna be a biatch to lvl now with honor/pvp in, but rumor is that it will let up when battlegrounds comes out....not sure if it will happen, but something to think about.

Of course, this is coming from someone that did run instances a million times and has 7 out of the 8 class armor (god I hate scholomance!) and it did/does sorely try my patience. At least now I can go hook up with 6 or 7 other BWC PvP raiding as a nice change of pace.

I do agree that something needs to be done to make pvp death more of a penalty rather than a nuisance.

I'm not sure I love the game, but I am having fun still....

"I want to leave this world the same way I entered it....screaming and covered in someone else's blood."

Joshll
Donkey Fucker

Postby Joshll » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:19 pm

"(god I hate scholomance!) "

That right there is my point. We grind and do what we don't like just to get the uber-item-of-doom.

And thats what we hated Mythic for doing to us.
retired

Mourningblade
Crotch Pheasant

Postby Mourningblade » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:33 pm

"All sunny days would make a desert"

every game has its downside....Hunter is still WAY better in WoW than Daoc. And no where near as Item based.

And for the record, EVERYONE hates Scholomance. Crappy loot and too long.

Mourningblade--, DAOC Merlin Server

Oregonian-Priest, Mourningblad-Hunter, Deadduck-Warlock, WoW Bleeding Hollow

"I want to leave this world the same way I entered it....screaming and covered in someone else's blood."

slythetove
Dickfingers

Re: My WOW rant - is this game really that good?

Postby slythetove » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:00 pm

Joshll wrote:OK, correct me where I am wrong.

WoW sucks because it is an ITEM/Equipment based game where your gear matters almost as much (and sometimes more) than skill. Equipment is everything.

In my opinion, you're wrong.

Skill means much more than gear in WoW PvP so far.

I killed a 60 rogue with my 46 rogue this weekend. She was not on mobs and was at full health.

She had a 14 level advantage.

My gear sucks, I have maybe one blue item and it's a ring.

Why did I win? She sucked. I used all my skills at the right times, and she didn't or I prevented her from using hers by using mine.

My mage killed a 60 warrior on Sunday who was chasing two high 40s. I'm 52, and my gear is well below par.

Why did I win? The warrior sucked.

This has been the story over and over for me. You can easily tell who has skill when you fight them in WoW.

I think grinding for gear has some of you convincing yourselves it's gear > skill game to offset the pain of grinding. I can't believe the amount of instance grinding you guys do.

A skilled player in easily obtained (AH type) gear still has a chance to win almost any encounter.

This may change eventually, but right now that's the way I'm experiencing PvP.

:onfire:
--Sly
A "slap in the face" since 1975

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:08 pm

I disagree.

This game takes more skill than DAoC. There are no I-WIN buttons, or overpowered spells like AE mez. Gear helps, but for Scorn on Blackrock, no one is geared completely yet. Yet we still rock 5mans in decked out MC/Ony gear. The disparity in skill is monumental, because there are so many spells and more things you need to do in WoW.

Honestly, after you get a certain level in gear, skill means more than improving your gear ever will. If all you do is zerg Hillsbrad, then ok yea, you're obviously not doing anything that a monkey couldn't do: Run into zerg, click on nearest target, shoot a couple times, then run like hell, die, return, zerg back.

Some of our raid buddies are completely decked out. One the priests in our "alliance" is already in full Prophecy/Transcendence gear, and he's not the best priest on the server. Just because he has 250 more combined resists than other priests, and heals for 100 hp more on his flash heals, in pvp he's clearly not better than say, me =) I'm wearing ghetto gear compared to him.
pink's dad and mom are conjoined at the waist.

friend to all bwc/scourn. like it or not.

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:12 pm

well, to anyone that is leaving WoW.. give me your account so i can play! k-thaxs!
DAOC-SOLD
Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)
WOW-SOLD
Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)
WAR- CLOSED BETA!

slythetove
Dickfingers

Postby slythetove » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:15 pm

killets wrote:I disagree.

This game takes more skill than DAoC. There are no I-WIN buttons, or overpowered spells like AE mez. Gear helps, but for Scorn on Blackrock, no one is geared completely yet. Yet we still rock 5mans in decked out MC/Ony gear. The disparity in skill is monumental, because there are so many spells and more things you need to do in WoW.

Honestly, after you get a certain level in gear, skill means more than improving your gear ever will. If all you do is zerg Hillsbrad, then ok yea, you're obviously not doing anything that a monkey couldn't do: Run into zerg, click on nearest target, shoot a couple times, then run like hell, die, return, zerg back.

Some of our raid buddies are completely decked out. One the priests in our "alliance" is already in full Prophecy/Transcendence gear, and he's not the best priest on the server. Just because he has 250 more combined resists than other priests, and heals for 100 hp more on his flash heals, in pvp he's clearly not better than say, me =) I'm wearing ghetto gear compared to him.

Exactly.

:onfire:
--Sly

A "slap in the face" since 1975

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:21 pm

The top end gear in the game basically cap out in certain stats.

Like you aren't going to see items with more than 30 int or 30 stam or anything like that.

Like your standard blue gear for casters will have something like 15 int 15 stam. Your standard MC gear will be like 20 int 20 stam +22 to heal spells +5/5 to 2 resists.

The difference, while it looks like a lot, really isn't a lot on paper. The difference in hp/mana you'll have after fully geared will be maybe like a 10% difference. They'll just have more +dmg/heal gear, and a lot better resists.

Bulor
Ass Jammer

Postby Bulor » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:51 pm

so how does this all help me getting a free account?
DAOC-SOLD

Lieph (heal)/ Sapporo & Djur(Sham)/ Qute & Brail(SBs)/ Bulor (war)/ Blackroc (ska)/ Antigun & Antigunn (SMs)

WOW-SOLD

Lieph (Warlock) / Vexi (Hunter)

WAR- CLOSED BETA!

Winke
Donkey Fucker

Postby Winke » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:59 pm

it doesn't buy a fucking account

Winke

killets
Ass Jammer

Postby killets » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:00 pm

by free, if you mean, rich, i will pay you $600 US for your druid acct to be paypal'd immediately, that post doesn't help you.

but i can.

Sirion
Ass Jammer

Postby Sirion » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:32 pm

Skill plays a much higher factor in this game than it did in DAoC due to the multitude of skills at each classes disposal.

The various UI enhancements and things like auto dispells and shit also make it alot harder to kill superior numbers (not to mention the lack of CC). You can really seriously tell which groups use Raid Assist in pvp, and which groups do not. That being said, I feel that group vs group fights are more fun in this game than it was in DAoC, but I'm not sure I like the actual pvp itself better than DAoC, and I certainly don't like the honor system much, even if I'm in 11th standing and took 3 days off.
DAoC > WoW
Call me sir.

Return to “Gaming Discussion”